javascript,apache,oracle

vishnu mahendra

i am new to javascript.
Can any one please tell me how to connect javascript to oracle in windows 98
using apache.where i could get information on connecting?

thank you in advance,
vishnu

Grant Wagner

vishnu said:
i am new to javascript.
Can any one please tell me how to connect javascript to oracle in windows 98
using apache.where i could get information on connecting?

thank you in advance,
vishnu

Your question seems to indicate a bit of confusion about various technologies
and how they relate to each other.

First off, apache is a Web server, it serves up HTML and other content types.

Oracle is a database, it stores data.

JavaScript is a language, for purposes of the Web, it can run on either the
client (in a Web browser), or on the server (JScript in ASP, or mod_javascript
in Apache, or server-side JavaScript in Sun ONE Enterprise server - if it's even
still supported).

Now, if you are talking about client-side JavaScript, there is simply no way to
"connect" it to apache or an Oracle database using a Web server, not directly
anyway.

If you are talking about server-side JavaScript, then what you'll need is an
installation of apache, mod_javascript, something like mod_odbc or mod_oracle
and an Oracle database. Once you have that installed and configured, you'll need
to write server-side JavaScript that opens a connection to the database and
executes whatever SQL you wish to run.

All sorts of information can be obtained on the Internet:

<url: http://www.google.com/search?q=configuring+mod_javascript />
<url: http://www.google.com/search?q=mod_oracle />
<url: http://www.google.com/search?q=server-side+javascript+documentation />

Keep in mind, what you are doing isn't like running a Windows setup wizard. You
are going to be connecting three very different technologies, each with it's own
nuances, bugs and problems to be overcome.

Lastly, Windows 98 is not a robust enough platform to run a Web server and
database on, you are not going to be pleased with the results.

--
| Grant Wagner <[email protected]>

*

*