    using apache.where i could get information on connecting?

    thank you in advance,
    vishnu
    vishnu mahendra, Dec 16, 2003

  2. vishnu mahendra

    Grant Wagner Guest

    vishnu mahendra wrote:

    > i am new to javascript.
    > Can any one please tell me how to connect javascript to oracle in windows 98
    > using apache.where i could get information on connecting?
    >
    > thank you in advance,
    > vishnu

    Your question seems to indicate a bit of confusion about various technologies
    and how they relate to each other.

    First off, apache is a Web server, it serves up HTML and other content types.

    Oracle is a database, it stores data.

    JavaScript is a language, for purposes of the Web, it can run on either the
    client (in a Web browser), or on the server (JScript in ASP, or mod_javascript
    in Apache, or server-side JavaScript in Sun ONE Enterprise server - if it's even
    still supported).

    Now, if you are talking about client-side JavaScript, there is simply no way to
    "connect" it to apache or an Oracle database using a Web server, not directly
    anyway.

    If you are talking about server-side JavaScript, then what you'll need is an
    installation of apache, mod_javascript, something like mod_odbc or mod_oracle
    and an Oracle database. Once you have that installed and configured, you'll need
    to write server-side JavaScript that opens a connection to the database and
    executes whatever SQL you wish to run.

    All sorts of information can be obtained on the Internet:

    <url: http://www.google.com/search?q=configuring mod_javascript />
    <url: http://www.google.com/search?q=mod_oracle />
    <url: http://www.google.com/search?q=server-side javascript documentation />

    Keep in mind, what you are doing isn't like running a Windows setup wizard. You
    are going to be connecting three very different technologies, each with it's own
    nuances, bugs and problems to be overcome.

    Lastly, Windows 98 is not a robust enough platform to run a Web server and
    database on, you are not going to be pleased with the results.

    --
    | Grant Wagner <>

    *

    *