JavaScript becomes disabled - HELP!!

BDurst

I am experiencing a strange problem with one of my intranet systems
and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what the
problem might be.

There are several hundred people that use the system. They use IE 6
to communicate with a database and print reports. Everything was
working fine up until about 2 or 3 weeks ago. Now when anyone uses
the system for a while, JavaScript apparently becomes disabled on the
PC they are using. JavaScript code apparently does nothing in either
my system or any outside websites. The browser behaves exactly the
same as if Active Scripting was disabled in the IE security settings.

When the PC is rebooted, JavaScript works fine for awhile and then
experiences the error again. I have been unable to duplicate the
error by going through all the functions of my web app so I am not
sure what exactly is causing the problem.

Does anyone have a clue as to what might be going on here? As an
added detail - we are undergoing a large PC replacement project in our
hospital. This JavaScript problem did not happen until after the PCs
had been replaced. The PCs had been in place for some time before I
heard of any problems so it is hard to determine if this coincides.

System Details
--------------

Browser: Internet Explorer 6.0
Web pages are a mix of JavaScript, ASP, HTML, DHTML and VBScript
Database: Oracle
Reporting: Crystal Reports Web Reporting Engine 6.0

I greatly appreciate any help/suggestions/wild ideas that anyone can
offer.

kaeli

This JavaScript problem did not happen until after the PCs
had been replaced. The PCs had been in place for some time before I
heard of any problems so it is hard to determine if this coincides.

Probably.

System Details

What SP for Windows? What version?
IE6 works horribly (or actually, doesn't work hardly at all and it very
buggy) with Win95.
IE6 was a shoddy browser until newer versions 6.0.28 and above.
Do all computers have the latest IE and Win SPs?
I greatly appreciate any help/suggestions/wild ideas that anyone can
offer.

Have the computers been auto-updated lately?

Could there be a new system policy running in the background that resets
permissions?

Have the computers had a virus check lately?

~kaeli~
Press any key to continue or any other key to quit.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading
my hard disk?
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Brian Durst

Thanks for responding kaeli.

What SP for Windows? What version?
IE6 works horribly (or actually, doesn't work hardly at >all and it very
buggy) with Win95.
IE6 was a shoddy browser until newer versions 6.0.28 and >above.
Do all computers have the latest IE and Win SPs?

All the PCs have IE 6.0.28 or above. They are running Win2000 with SP2.
I'm not sure on IE service packs I'll have to stop by the building and
take a look.

Have the computers been auto-updated lately?
Could there be a new system policy running in the >background that resets
permissions?

This is a possibility. I'm going to check with the folks who handle
that. What sort of permissions are you talking about - IE security
permissions?

Have the computers had a virus check lately?
We use ePolicy Orchestrator which ensures the latest version of McAfee
and latest DAT files are always loaded on each machine. Virus scans are
run daily. A couple of weeks ago the Stinger virus scan software was
installed on every Win2000 PC in the corporation. I'm not positive but
I think this problem occured before Stinger was installed.

kaeli

All the PCs have IE 6.0.28 or above. They are running Win2000 with SP2.
I'm not sure on IE service packs I'll have to stop by the building and
take a look.

Update the SPs on those to SP4 if possible.
This is a possibility. I'm going to check with the folks who handle
that. What sort of permissions are you talking about - IE security
permissions?

Script permissions. Since malicious scripts cause so many problems, some
places forbid them to run in normal sites and only allow it in trusted
sites.
Put your site explicitly in the Trusted Sites section of IE security
Zone settings. See if that helps. Don't forget to set the Trusted Sites
settings to run script and such.
We use ePolicy Orchestrator which ensures the latest version of McAfee
and latest DAT files are always loaded on each machine. Virus scans are
run daily. A couple of weeks ago the Stinger virus scan software was
installed on every Win2000 PC in the corporation. I'm not positive but
I think this problem occured before Stinger was installed.

Having more than one virus scanner is a frequent cause of odd errors. So
is having a specific firewall with a specific virus scanner. I don't
remember the exact combinations, but if there is a software firewall
running such as Zone Alarm, check to be sure it plays nice with your
virus checkers.