Javascript Bible 6th Edition (Danny Goodman, Michael Morrison)

Icon Iconoclast

I've just started learning Javascript using the book Javascript Bible 6th
Edition (Danny Goodman, Michael Morrison). I already know some C#, ASP.NET,
Core Java, C and C++. How long should it take me to get a reasonably good
grasp over Javascript using the book? Is the book any good? Are there better
alternatives?

Icon

dhtml

Icon said:
I've just started learning Javascript using the book Javascript Bible
6th Edition (Danny Goodman, Michael Morrison). I already know some C#,
ASP.NET, Core Java, C and C++. How long should it take me to get a
reasonably good grasp over Javascript

If you study aptly, every day, probably three years.
using the book?

You're overly optimistic.
Is the book any
good?

Previous versions were well-organized and informative. Unfortunately,
much of the information was not factually correct.
Are there better alternatives?

The best source of information is the online resources listed in the FAQ.

Study the DOM. Learn about browsers. Learn how to test. Read ECMA 262
r3. Get all the debugging tools listed in the FAQ. I also think learning
design patterns and the principles behind them (encapsulate the parts
that vary, DRY, SRP, et c) is helpful.

Reading the newsgroup comp.lang.javascript on daily basis is a good idea.

Garrett

David Mark

I've just started learning Javascript using the book Javascript Bible 6th
Edition (Danny Goodman, Michael Morrison). I already know some C#, ASP.NET,

Forget everything you ever saw in ASP.NET. That framework was clearly
designed by people with no concept of how browsers work.
Core Java, C and C++. How long should it take me to get a reasonably good
grasp over Javascript using the book? Is the book any good? Are there better
alternatives?

I don't know anything about that book; but if you are proficient with
C and C++, the Javascript language shouldn't take long to grasp.
However, if you plan to write for browsers, you will have to learn
browser scripting, which presents additional hurdles. That's why so
many blog entries on the subject profess a hatred of Javascript.
Whatever you do, don't give up and use some canned library/framework
as most are written by people with little or no grasp on the subject.

The Natural Philosopher

Icon said:
I've just started learning Javascript using the book Javascript Bible
6th Edition (Danny Goodman, Michael Morrison). I already know some C#,
ASP.NET, Core Java, C and C++. How long should it take me to get a
reasonably good grasp over Javascript using the book? Is the book any
good? Are there better alternatives?

Icon

A long time. The language itself isn't too bad, its the way it interacts
with the DOM that I find almost random in its lack of consistency.

Also, judging by what is posted here, not many people learn much more of
it than the basics, and I wouldn't say I am much different.

Just get cracking and learn what you need, to get the job in hand done.
More will come as you try and do more.

Ive got the O'Reilly book, which is good as far as it goes, but its
organised, as most text books in computing are, as a document of
answers. In other words, unless you know where to look, you cant easily
find the answer to a specific QUESTION.

I'd say it takes 4-5 years to really master a language and its
application, and probably even then you haven't reached the full
potential of it. Most people do a 2 week training course and think they
know it all.

So I don't bother with whether or not I do, just keep programming and
learning. The greatest barrier to learning is the feeling that you know
it all. You never will though.

The acid test is whether or not you know enough to complete the task you
are set, or set yourself...and if you are not, whether you will tussle
with it to learn what you need.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Icon said:
I've just started learning Javascript using the book Javascript Bible 6th
Edition (Danny Goodman, Michael Morrison).

Bad idea. Both authors don't know what they are talking about.

PointedEars

David Mark

A long time. The language itself isn't too bad, its the way it interacts
with the DOM that I find almost random in its lack of consistency.

Also, judging by what is posted here, not many people learn much more of
it than the basics, and I wouldn't say I am much different.

WARNING: "natural philosophy" may contain artificial concepts and
coloring. Do not consume.

[snip]