    grasp over Javascript using the book? Is the book any good? Are there better
    alternatives?

    Icon
    Icon Iconoclast, Dec 16, 2008

  2. Icon Iconoclast

    dhtml Guest

    Icon Iconoclast wrote:
    > I've just started learning Javascript using the book Javascript Bible
    > 6th Edition (Danny Goodman, Michael Morrison). I already know some C#,
    > ASP.NET, Core Java, C and C++. How long should it take me to get a
    > reasonably good grasp over Javascript

    If you study aptly, every day, probably three years.

    > using the book?

    You're overly optimistic.

    > Is the book any
    > good?

    Previous versions were well-organized and informative. Unfortunately,
    much of the information was not factually correct.

    > Are there better alternatives?

    The best source of information is the online resources listed in the FAQ.

    Study the DOM. Learn about browsers. Learn how to test. Read ECMA 262
    r3. Get all the debugging tools listed in the FAQ. I also think learning
    design patterns and the principles behind them (encapsulate the parts
    that vary, DRY, SRP, et c) is helpful.

    Reading the newsgroup comp.lang.javascript on daily basis is a good idea.

    Garrett

    --
    comp.lang.javascript FAQ <URL: http://jibbering.com/faq/ >
    dhtml, Dec 16, 2008

  3. Icon Iconoclast

    David Mark Guest

    On Dec 16, 2:56 am, "Icon Iconoclast" <icon_iconocl...@h-o-t-m-a-i-
    l.com> wrote:
    > I've just started learning Javascript using the book Javascript Bible 6th
    > Edition (Danny Goodman, Michael Morrison). I already know some C#, ASP.NET,

    Forget everything you ever saw in ASP.NET. That framework was clearly
    designed by people with no concept of how browsers work.

    > Core Java, C and C++. How long should it take me to get a reasonably good
    > grasp over Javascript using the book? Is the book any good? Are there better
    > alternatives?

    I don't know anything about that book; but if you are proficient with
    C and C++, the Javascript language shouldn't take long to grasp.
    However, if you plan to write for browsers, you will have to learn
    browser scripting, which presents additional hurdles. That's why so
    many blog entries on the subject profess a hatred of Javascript.
    Whatever you do, don't give up and use some canned library/framework
    as most are written by people with little or no grasp on the subject.
    David Mark, Dec 16, 2008
  4. Icon Iconoclast wrote:
    > I've just started learning Javascript using the book Javascript Bible
    > 6th Edition (Danny Goodman, Michael Morrison). I already know some C#,
    > ASP.NET, Core Java, C and C++. How long should it take me to get a
    > reasonably good grasp over Javascript using the book? Is the book any
    > good? Are there better alternatives?
    >
    > Icon

    A long time. The language itself isn't too bad, its the way it interacts
    with the DOM that I find almost random in its lack of consistency.

    Also, judging by what is posted here, not many people learn much more of
    it than the basics, and I wouldn't say I am much different.

    Just get cracking and learn what you need, to get the job in hand done.
    More will come as you try and do more.

    Ive got the O'Reilly book, which is good as far as it goes, but its
    organised, as most text books in computing are, as a document of
    answers. In other words, unless you know where to look, you cant easily
    find the answer to a specific QUESTION.

    I'd say it takes 4-5 years to really master a language and its
    application, and probably even then you haven't reached the full
    potential of it. Most people do a 2 week training course and think they
    know it all.

    So I don't bother with whether or not I do, just keep programming and
    learning. The greatest barrier to learning is the feeling that you know
    it all. You never will though.

    The acid test is whether or not you know enough to complete the task you
    are set, or set yourself...and if you are not, whether you will tussle
    with it to learn what you need.
    The Natural Philosopher, Dec 16, 2008
  5. Icon Iconoclast wrote:
    > I've just started learning Javascript using the book Javascript Bible 6th
    > Edition (Danny Goodman, Michael Morrison).

    Bad idea. Both authors don't know what they are talking about.

    PointedEars
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Dec 16, 2008
  6. Icon Iconoclast

    David Mark Guest

    On Dec 16, 9:18 am, The Natural Philosopher <> wrote:
    > Icon Iconoclast wrote:
    > > I've just started learning Javascript using the book Javascript Bible
    > > 6th Edition (Danny Goodman, Michael Morrison). I already know some C#,
    > > ASP.NET, Core Java, C and C++. How long should it take me to get a
    > > reasonably good grasp over Javascript using the book? Is the book any
    > > good? Are there better alternatives?

    > > Icon

    > A long time. The language itself isn't too bad, its the way it interacts
    > with the DOM that I find almost random in its lack of consistency.
    >
    > Also, judging by what is posted here, not many people learn much more of
    > it than the basics, and I wouldn't say I am much different.

    WARNING: "natural philosophy" may contain artificial concepts and
    coloring. Do not consume.

    [snip]
    David Mark, Dec 17, 2008