    http://www.webreference.com/tools/browser/_browserhawk.html

    Thanks!
    , Apr 11, 2006

  2. wrote:

    > I am looking for a script using javascript to pull browser information
    > including, browser type and version, OS info, plugins (flash, acrobat,
    > media player, etc), java version, etc. that will work on IE/Firefox. I
    > am looking for detalis similar to what is available at:
    > http://www.webreference.com/tools/browser/_browserhawk.html

    Please read <URL:http://pointedears.de/scripts/test/whatami>, then answer
    this question: Why?

    PointedEars
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Apr 11, 2006

  3. wrote:
    > I am looking for a script using javascript to pull browser
    > information including, browser type and version, OS info,
    > plugins (flash, acrobat, media player, etc), java version,
    > etc. that will work on IE/Firefox. I am looking for detalis
    > similar to what is available at:
    > http://www.webreference.com/tools/browser/_browserhawk.html

    You mean you want inaccurate information based upon false assumptions
    and superficial testing? You don't need a script for that, just assume
    that all browsers are IE running on Windows and have flash, acrobat and
    media player installed and you won't be wrong significantly more often
    than you example. ;)

    Richard.
    Richard Cornford, Apr 11, 2006
  4. wrote :
    > I am looking for a script using javascript to pull browser information
    > including, browser type and version, OS info, plugins (flash, acrobat,
    > media player, etc), java version, etc. that will work on IE/Firefox. I
    > am looking for detalis similar to what is available at:
    > http://www.webreference.com/tools/browser/_browserhawk.html
    >
    > Thanks!

    I'd be very surprised if you would need so many info to begin with. In
    99% of the time, a web author with an avg. or even big website only
    needs to detect object feature support and/or object capability support
    for his scripts. That approach is more reliable, useful and future-proof.

    Object detection:
    http://developer.apple.com/internet/webcontent/objectdetection.html

    Browser detection (and what to do instead)
    http://www.jibbering.com/faq/faq_notes/not_browser_detect.html

    Comp.lang.javascript FAQ
    4.26 How do I detect Opera/Netscape/IE?
    http://jibbering.com/faq/#FAQ4_26

    Developing Cross Browser/Cross Platform Pages
    * Browser identification approach (aka "browser sniffing"): not best,
    not reliable approach
    * Using Object/Feature detection approach: best and overall most reliable
    http://www.mozilla.org/docs/web-developer/upgrade_2.html#DevCrossBrowser

    For detection of flash, acrobat, media player, java version, the object
    feature detection support is still the correct approach.

    Gérard
    --
    remove blah to email me
    Gérard Talbot, Apr 12, 2006
  5. VK Guest

    wrote:
    > I am looking for a script using javascript to pull browser information
    > including, browser type and version, OS info, plugins (flash, acrobat,
    > media player, etc), java version, etc. that will work on IE/Firefox. I
    > am looking for detalis similar to what is available at:
    > http://www.webreference.com/tools/browser/_browserhawk.html

    Oh, BrowserHawk - that's an old buddy :)

    A good part of sniffing is made by studying window, window.screen
    (where supported) window.navigator and window.plugins (or
    document.plugins ? - you better check).

    You just write a script to iterate through - and be aware that some
    objects/properties will not be equally presented on all UA's; so
    "property/object missing" fall back is required.
    <http://www.jibbering.com/faq/#FAQ3_2> will give you some materials for
    comparison tables.

    But it is only half way: what really gives to BrowserHawk its not so
    low value is their UA strings database they support and update since
    1998. Grace to it they are able to extract much more info from UA
    string - unless of course it is spoofed.

    That is an old lasting "tradition" to have UA's string syntax close to
    inscription on the wall in the subway men's room :) A lot of info, but
    to extract all of it one needs a sophisticated AI - or a huge database
    to match the record.

    My beloved one remains the mark in the old AOL packages (v.1 - v.5). In
    their browser version the string ended up with "DigitallyExt". I still
    think that by its hidden expressive power it stays in one row (if not
    above) with the "Trespassers W" in front of Piglet's house. :)

    I mean - is it nice to know how many AOL users do you have? Sometimes
    it may be nice. But what chance to discover the string pattern without
    a database?
    VK, Apr 13, 2006