javascript debugging

Guest

1. I find that debugging does not work if the JavaScript you wish to debug is
included in your program via src="blah". All of my programs use this because
I have many common scripts that are used throughout my application. It also
gives a very limited amount of security to prying eyes.

2. If I extract the portion of the JavaScript I wish to debug and put it
locally within the aspx file, the debugging works.

3. If I try to debug both my vb.net code and JavaScript concurrently it
doesn't work.

4. I am finding that I have a very cpu resource goes to 99% more often then
not and find that I must recycle IIS or boot to get visual studio and
debugging to work again.

5. Basically I am trying to accomplish a 30 minute task and so far I've
exceed several hours for this simple task.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Guest

Additionally the programs behave very differently(all not at all) when run
under the debugger. If I build my application fresh and run it normally
through IE everything works.

Lucas Tam

Additionally the programs behave very differently(all not at all) when
run under the debugger. If I build my application fresh and run it
normally through IE everything works.

Could be a threading issue - do you have concurrent threads running?

Lucas Tam

1. I find that debugging does not work if the JavaScript you wish to
debug is included in your program via src="blah". All of my programs
use this because I have many common scripts that are used throughout
my application. It also gives a very limited amount of security to
prying eyes.

Strange, works for me. My debugger breaks into src files fine.
2. If I extract the portion of the JavaScript I wish to debug and put
it locally within the aspx file, the debugging works.

3. If I try to debug both my vb.net code and JavaScript concurrently
it doesn't work.

This works for me - but you'll have to attach 2 debuggers, one for ASP.NET
and another for IE.

Guest

In reference to the 'Pink Pather' I see you are using the old "it works on my
computer ploy" ;-)

Thanks for the suggestion and quick reply. This is a very simple application
with no threading as least not that I initiate. Oddly enough when I moved the
suspect code to the aspx file the debugging and code worked. This part is
fuzzy....I don't how many processes I killed or reboots I performed. After
that I then place the code back into the src file and it workes like a charm.
Someone must have been reading my very uncensored rebuffs I added to visual
studios automated error reporting system text xml file.

Lucas Tam

In reference to the 'Pink Pather' I see you are using the old "it
works on my computer ploy" ;-)

: )

Did you attach a javascript debugger directly to your instance of Internet
explorer?

If you do, there should be a "running documents" window, which you can use
to select the proper .js file.