javascript document.lastModified apache 1.3 error

Kam Bansal

Hi all,

We're using Apache 1.3 (I know, I know, there's a newer version...)
and it seems that the document.lastModified does not return the
correct date. On Netscape it shows 01/01/1970 and on IE etc it shows
the "current" date, but not the file's last mod date!!!

I've searched the net and I've seen many posts with simular issues,
but I cannot find the solution...is there one??? Is there a setting in
my https.conf file???

Thanks in advance!

~Kam (^8*

ps. on Solaris 9

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Kam said:
We're using Apache 1.3 (I know, I know, there's a newer version...)

Yes, Apache 1.3.31 and 2.0.50, both including many security
fixes which is why you really want to update/upgrade.
and it seems that the document.lastModified does not return the
correct date.

`document' refers to a host object. It is not guaranteed
that this even exists, let alone that its properties exist.
On Netscape

Which of the numerous Netscape versions are you talking about?
it shows 01/01/1970

Reads like you have tried document.lastModified with the Date object,
and the formats do not match. January 1, 1970 midnight is the zero
date value.
and on IE

Which platform, which version?

Define that.
it shows the "current" date, but not the file's last mod date!!!
^^^
Reads like you are referring to a document generated by a server-side
application, e.g. PHP or ASP.
I've searched the net and I've seen many posts with simular issues,
but I cannot find the solution...is there one??? Is there a setting in ^^^
my https.conf file???
^^^
Your keyboard is borken.

If there were a solution, httpd.conf would be the appropriate configuration
file and it would be off-topic here.

Why do you pursue a solution with client-side J(ava)Script where Server-Side
Includes or server-side scripting would be the reliable solution?

PointedEars

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <[email protected]>,
dated Mon, 2 Aug 2004 14:19:17, seen in Kam
Bansal said:
We're using Apache 1.3 (I know, I know, there's a newer version...)
and it seems that the document.lastModified does not return the
correct date. On Netscape it shows 01/01/1970 and on IE etc it shows
the "current" date, but not the file's last mod date!!!

Your document.lastModified is a javascript string; it is derived, by
something distantly approaching but nowhere near attaining logic, from
the HTTP header Last-Modified line.

You should arrange to inspect this line as transmitted, perhaps by
telnetting into the server (can someone provide the Telnet grammar?). I
expect that you will find it to be absent, or possibly corrupt. The
correct format is :-
Last-Modified: Tue, 15 Nov 1994 12:45:26 GMT

Note : web-based page validation services often report HTTP headers.

I've searched the net and I've seen many posts with simular issues,
but I cannot find the solution...is there one??? Is there a setting in
my https.conf file???

For that you should consult a servers newsgroup.

Did you read the FAQ of this newsgroup, though? See footer.

When posting date-related questions, you should give the relevant
locations; it sometimes helps. What time does Netscape show?

ANNOUNCE to regulars : The digit in js-date1.htm, js-date2.htm, js-
date3.htm, and the first part of a shuffled js-date4.htm should in each
case be decremented, with effect from August 1st, BST. I need more
digits ...