JavaScript documentation system

Gil Sudai

We have a JavaScript SDK with lots of classes and functions. We would like to generate automatic HTML documentation from it to our users.
We look for a free tool, something like Doxygen, that knows how to handle JS code.
Do you know of such a tool ?

Grant Wagner

Gil said:
We have a JavaScript SDK with lots of classes and functions. We
would like to generate automatic HTML documentation from it to
our users.We look for a free tool, something like Doxygen, that
knows how to handle JS code.Do you know of such a tool ?

Javadoc might be made to work: <url:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/javadoc/ />

From what little of the documentation I read, at the very least
you will probably need to rename your .js files to .java, run
Javadoc, then rename them back. It's also possible javadoc is
simply incapable of dealing with the structure/syntax of .js
files. But if you want something free, it might be worthwhile
devoting an hour or so of your time to seeing if javadoc will met
your needs without too much work.

ivanhoe

Grant Wagner said:
Javadoc might be made to work: <url:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/javadoc/ />

From what little of the documentation I read, at the very least
you will probably need to rename your .js files to .java, run
Javadoc, then rename them back. It's also possible javadoc is
simply incapable of dealing with the structure/syntax of .js
files. But if you want something free, it might be worthwhile
devoting an hour or so of your time to seeing if javadoc will met
your needs without too much work.

I never tried this, but i once tried to clean up formating of js code
wih eclipse java editor and it got confused on some js reserved words,
specially on 'function'....and since I presume the most of commenting
is placed around and about functions, I'm not sure if javadoc will be
able to cope with it....but can't hurt to try :)