JavaScript Drop Down Menu

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by DaveO, May 18, 2005.

  1. DaveO

    DaveO Guest

    Hi All

    I have no experience in JavaScript ( only html and ASP ).

    I would like to add a Menu ( with multi level drop down sub menu's ) to my
    web site.

    I have tried using a DHTML Menu Creation program, but find that when loaded
    onto a test site, the menu runs slowly.

    The buttons are all gif images and they appear to "re-load" every time the
    focus changes from 1 menu button to another.

    Is there any easy way to create a drop down menu ( either in a horizontal or
    vertical format ). I do not need boxes / arrows / etc if it will help speed
    things up.

    Regards
    DaveO

    DaveO, May 18, 2005

  2. DaveO wrote:

    > Hi All
    >
    > I have no experience in JavaScript ( only html and ASP ).
    >
    > I would like to add a Menu ( with multi level drop down sub menu's ) to my
    > web site.
    >
    > I have tried using a DHTML Menu Creation program, but find that when loaded
    > onto a test site, the menu runs slowly.
    >
    > The buttons are all gif images and they appear to "re-load" every time the
    > focus changes from 1 menu button to another.
    >
    > Is there any easy way to create a drop down menu ( either in a horizontal or
    > vertical format ). I do not need boxes / arrows / etc if it will help speed
    > things up.

    Have a look at this:
    http://koivi.com/css-menus/

    It may be all you really need - especially if you're good with CSS.

    --
    Justin Koivisto -
    http://koivi.com

    Justin Koivisto, May 18, 2005

  3. DaveO wrote:

    > I would like to add a Menu ( with multi level drop down sub menu's ) to my
    > web site.

    I've only encountered one that I would even consider using (and it would
    take quite a lot to get me to use it): http://www.udm4.com/

    Its the only one that I've found that solves most of the usability issues
    with such menus. It doesn't solve all of them though (e.g. it still
    overloads users of browsers which don't support CSS with every option under
    the sun), but its better then most.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, May 18, 2005
  4. DaveO