javascript eclipse plugin

donalmurtagh

Hi,

I'm looking for a recommendation for a javascript Eclipse plugin. I'm
mostly interested in using the plugin to read/write JS, rather than to
debug it. I'm currently using Spket, which is pretty good, but I'd
like to know if there's something even better. Specifically, Spket
doesn't seem to be particularly good at "jumping" (ctrl + click)
between classes.

This can make it difficult to identify which functions/classes are my
own, and which are from 3rd party libraries, e.g. Prototype.

Thanks in advance,
DM

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

I'm looking for a recommendation for a javascript Eclipse plugin. I'm
mostly interested in using the plugin to read/write JS, rather than to
debug it. I'm currently using Spket, which is pretty good, but I'd
like to know if there's something even better. Specifically, Spket
doesn't seem to be particularly good at "jumping" (ctrl + click)
between classes.

I don't know Spket. But there are no classes in current *client-side*
JS/ES; these are OOPLs using prototype-based inheritance (which is what the
authors of the infamous Prototype library also failed to recognize; if you
were referring to JScript .NET instead, please ignore that.)
This can make it difficult to identify which functions/classes are my
own, and which are from 3rd party libraries,

As for libraries, ATF (AJAX Toolkit Framework) could be what you are looking
for. However, my tests indicate that its syntax checker currently has
shortcomings regarding references to commonly used host objects, such as
`window', as compared to InterAkt/Macromedia JSEclipse. Yet ATF does have
the advantage over JSEclipse that it apparently is actively developed (while
JSEclipse stayed beta after MM took over) and is therefore fully compatible
to current Eclipse builds (JSEclipse keeps throws exceptions on Code Assist
in my Eclipse 3.3.1.1; YMMV).

http://www.interaktonline.com/Products/Eclipse/JSEclipse/Overview/
http://www.eclipse.org/atf/
e.g. Prototype.

You really want to dump Prototype and anything that depends on it, trust me.

HTH

PointedEars

Stevo

Hi,
I'm looking for a recommendation for a javascript Eclipse plugin. I'm
mostly interested in using the plugin to read/write JS, rather than to
debug it. I'm currently using Spket, which is pretty good, but I'd
like to know if there's something even better. Specifically, Spket
doesn't seem to be particularly good at "jumping" (ctrl + click)
between classes.
This can make it difficult to identify which functions/classes are my
own, and which are from 3rd party libraries, e.g. Prototype.

You want to google Aptana. It claims to do all the things you want,
although I never tried it.