  1. AnnMarie

    AnnMarie Guest

    What is the best editor to use for JavaScript?

    AnnMarie, Nov 24, 2003

  2. AnnMarie

    Evertjan. Guest

    AnnMarie wrote on 24 nov 2003 in comp.lang.javascript:

    > What is the best editor to use for JavaScript?

    Anything starting from Notepad.
    "Best"is a very subjective word.
    This question is asked so many times.
    Why not read up first?

    <http://www.google.com/groups?q=editor+group%3A*javascript*>

    6220 hits

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Nov 24, 2003

  3. AnnMarie

    DB McGee Guest

    "Evertjan." <> wrote in message

    > 6220 hits

    Heh, I think that's the reason why they were asking for a recommendation -
    but your original assertion is correct. You can go from something as
    complex as notepad to something as 'advanced' as Dreamweaver MX.

    - for a development environment, my preference is Dreamweaver as it's an
    integrated tool I can use for all my HTML, CSS, JS, PHP files plus the built
    in FTP & check-in/check-out functionality - it may be overkill for your
    needs however, along with the cost
    - for a 'no cost' alternative, you might want to have a look at HTML Kit:
    http://www.chami.com/html-kit/, however
    - For code debugging, nothing beats Mozilla's Javascript Debugger tool.

    HTH

    DB McGee, Nov 24, 2003
  4. "Evertjan." <> wrote in message
    >AnnMarie wrote on 24 nov 2003 in comp.lang.javascript:
    >
    >>What is the best editor to use for JavaScript?

    > Anything starting from Notepad.

    <snip>

    I would say; anything moving on from notepad. Syntax highlighting should
    be available along with automatic code indenting, regular expression
    based search and replace (preferably across multiple (hundreds of)
    files) and probably some form of automatic insertion of predefined,
    regularly used, code structures. All of those can be found in free
    (and/or very inexpensive) text editors.

    Richard.

    Richard Cornford, Nov 24, 2003
  5. AnnMarie

    Evertjan. Guest

    Richard Cornford wrote on 24 nov 2003 in comp.lang.javascript:
    > "Evertjan." <> wrote in message
    >>AnnMarie wrote on 24 nov 2003 in comp.lang.javascript:
    >>
    >>>What is the best editor to use for JavaScript?

    >> Anything starting from Notepad.

    > <snip>
    >
    > I would say; anything moving on from notepad. Syntax highlighting
    > should be available along with automatic code indenting, regular
    > expression based search and replace (preferably across multiple
    > (hundreds of) files) and probably some form of automatic insertion of
    > predefined, regularly used, code structures. All of those can be found
    > in free (and/or very inexpensive) text editors.

    Sure, I am using editpad for a long time now.

    DB McGee wrote on 24 nov 2003 in comp.lang.javascript:
    > You can go from something as
    > complex as notepad to something as 'advanced' as Dreamweaver MX.

    But using frontpage and/or dreamweaver will heavily deflect the learning
    from the optimal and should be vehemently discouraged.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Nov 24, 2003
  6. AnnMarie

    DB McGee Guest

    "Evertjan." <> wrote in message
    > But using frontpage and/or dreamweaver will heavily deflect the learning
    > from the optimal and should be vehemently discouraged.

    I don't understand this statement - Dreamweaver is the best hand-coding tool
    and complete development interface I've ever used.

    Unless you are under the egregiously mistaken assumption that everyone who
    uses anything other than Notepad must do their web development via WYSIWIG?

    DB McGee, Nov 24, 2003
  7. JRS: In article <>, seen
    in news:comp.lang.javascript, AnnMarie <> posted at
    Mon, 24 Nov 2003 09:24:58 :-

    >What is the best editor to use for JavaScript?

    The best plain-text editor that you are already familiar with is
    probably your best choice, and is the answer to a slightly different
    question.

    Unless, that is, you know nothing better than Notepad.

    It is important to have case-dependent Search (and replace) that can be
    limited to finding "Words".

    I mostly use PFE, but something else for searching for "Words".

    Of course, for the question to be meaningful you should have said what
    system you want to run the editor on.

    <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-index.htm> JS maths, dates, sources.

    Dr John Stockton, Nov 24, 2003
  8. I like Dreamweaver also but when I use it, my organized indented code
    jumps all over the place. How can I enable my code to stay organized
    and indented the way I prefer it to be?

    Also, when using JavaScript in Dreamweaver the properties don't popup in
    a select box. Is there a way for me to set that up.

    One last thing - can I use Perl in Dreamweaver? When I tried to, it
    looks like a text file instead of giving me syntax help.

    I guess I am looking for a text editor with syntax help available for
    html, javascript, perl, java applets and jsp. I don't know if that is
    feasible.

    Thanks in advance.

    AnnMarie Caruso, Nov 24, 2003
  9. AnnMarie

    DU Guest

    DB McGee wrote:

    > "Evertjan." <> wrote in message
    >
    >>But using frontpage and/or dreamweaver will heavily deflect the learning
    >>from the optimal and should be vehemently discouraged.

    > I don't understand this statement - Dreamweaver is the best hand-coding tool
    > and complete development interface I've ever used.
    >
    > Unless you are under the egregiously mistaken assumption that everyone who
    > uses anything other than Notepad must do their web development via WYSIWIG?

    DreamWeaver is the software responsible for so many incompatible code,
    broken code, invalid code that regulars of this newsgroup denounce every
    single day. DreamWeaver is the champion of

    - thoughless use of document.write()
    - mindless use of eval() calls
    - inconsequent use of setTimeout(expr, n) where n < 32
    - "javascript:" pseudo-protocol in href value
    - triggering backward compatible rendering mode in MSIE 6 for windows;
    after years and years of trying to have MSIE comply with W3C web
    standards (namely CSS1 box model), we still have a widely used software
    promoting web fragmentation and non-compliance with web standards. That
    single reason is enough to stop using DreamWeaver.

    DU

    DU, Nov 25, 2003