JavaScript Editor

DB McGee

Evertjan. said:
6220 hits

Heh, I think that's the reason why they were asking for a recommendation -
but your original assertion is correct. You can go from something as
complex as notepad to something as 'advanced' as Dreamweaver MX.

- for a development environment, my preference is Dreamweaver as it's an
integrated tool I can use for all my HTML, CSS, JS, PHP files plus the built
in FTP & check-in/check-out functionality - it may be overkill for your
needs however, along with the cost
- for a 'no cost' alternative, you might want to have a look at HTML Kit:
http://www.chami.com/html-kit/, however
- For code debugging, nothing beats Mozilla's Javascript Debugger tool.

HTH

Richard Cornford

Evertjan. said:
AnnMarie wrote on 24 nov 2003 in comp.lang.javascript:

Anything starting from Notepad.
<snip>

I would say; anything moving on from notepad. Syntax highlighting should
be available along with automatic code indenting, regular expression
based search and replace (preferably across multiple (hundreds of)
files) and probably some form of automatic insertion of predefined,
regularly used, code structures. All of those can be found in free
(and/or very inexpensive) text editors.

Richard.

Evertjan.

Richard Cornford wrote on 24 nov 2003 in comp.lang.javascript:
<snip>

I would say; anything moving on from notepad. Syntax highlighting
should be available along with automatic code indenting, regular
expression based search and replace (preferably across multiple
(hundreds of) files) and probably some form of automatic insertion of
predefined, regularly used, code structures. All of those can be found
in free (and/or very inexpensive) text editors.

Sure, I am using editpad for a long time now.

DB McGee wrote on 24 nov 2003 in comp.lang.javascript:
You can go from something as
complex as notepad to something as 'advanced' as Dreamweaver MX.

But using frontpage and/or dreamweaver will heavily deflect the learning
from the optimal and should be vehemently discouraged.

DB McGee

Evertjan. said:
But using frontpage and/or dreamweaver will heavily deflect the learning
from the optimal and should be vehemently discouraged.

I don't understand this statement - Dreamweaver is the best hand-coding tool
and complete development interface I've ever used.

Unless you are under the egregiously mistaken assumption that everyone who
uses anything other than Notepad must do their web development via WYSIWIG?

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <[email protected]>, seen
What is the best editor to use for JavaScript?

The best plain-text editor that you are already familiar with is
probably your best choice, and is the answer to a slightly different
question.

Unless, that is, you know nothing better than Notepad.

It is important to have case-dependent Search (and replace) that can be
limited to finding "Words".

I mostly use PFE, but something else for searching for "Words".

Of course, for the question to be meaningful you should have said what
system you want to run the editor on.

AnnMarie Caruso

I like Dreamweaver also but when I use it, my organized indented code
jumps all over the place. How can I enable my code to stay organized
and indented the way I prefer it to be?

Also, when using JavaScript in Dreamweaver the properties don't popup in
a select box. Is there a way for me to set that up.

One last thing - can I use Perl in Dreamweaver? When I tried to, it
looks like a text file instead of giving me syntax help.

I guess I am looking for a text editor with syntax help available for
html, javascript, perl, java applets and jsp. I don't know if that is
feasible.

Thanks in advance.

DU

DB said:
I don't understand this statement - Dreamweaver is the best hand-coding tool
and complete development interface I've ever used.

Unless you are under the egregiously mistaken assumption that everyone who
uses anything other than Notepad must do their web development via WYSIWIG?

DreamWeaver is the software responsible for so many incompatible code,
broken code, invalid code that regulars of this newsgroup denounce every
single day. DreamWeaver is the champion of

- thoughless use of document.write()
- mindless use of eval() calls
- inconsequent use of setTimeout(expr, n) where n < 32
- "javascript:" pseudo-protocol in href value
- triggering backward compatible rendering mode in MSIE 6 for windows;
after years and years of trying to have MSIE comply with W3C web
standards (namely CSS1 box model), we still have a widely used software
promoting web fragmentation and non-compliance with web standards. That
single reason is enough to stop using DreamWeaver.

DU