Javascript Editor

Martin Mücke

Hi, I am looking for a good - if not THE BEST - Javascript Editor
available, prefarably to include it in Eclipse.
I found Aptana, but it still seems to be buggy, it had problems with
special german characters.
The best would be an editor similar to the Eclipse Java editor - I
want to be able to click on a function or variable to see how and were
it was defined...

Thanks in advance,

Martin

Nadim Attari

Martin said:
Hi, I am looking for a good - if not THE BEST - Javascript Editor
available, prefarably to include it in Eclipse.
I found Aptana, but it still seems to be buggy, it had problems with
special german characters.
The best would be an editor similar to the Eclipse Java editor - I
want to be able to click on a function or variable to see how and were
it was defined...

Thanks in advance,

Martin

http://www.osalt.com/aptana

Gregor Kofler

Perhaps JSEclipse? http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/jseclipse/
The best would be an editor similar to the Eclipse Java editor - I
want to be able to click on a function or variable to see how and were
it was defined...

Though this is not supported by JSEclipse. Other functions like Mark
Occurences or Autocompletion are provided.

Gregor

rstratulat

Why does it requires Sun Java Runtime Environment? Otherwise, i would be
happy to use it.

It requires Eclipse to run as it is an Eclipse plugin. And Eclipse
requires a JRE.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Gregor said:
Martin Mücke meinte:

Perhaps JSEclipse? http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/jseclipse/

I have been using that since it was provided by InterAKT[1]. There is also
one included in the Web Standard Tools[2], which is used automatically in
HTML documents if you have the WST plugin installed (AIUI, JSEclipse is only
for script files yet).
Though this is not supported by JSEclipse.

It is, in a sense. If you position the text cursor on an identifier it is
highlighted along with all of its occurences in the current file, and jump
markers are set on the right border accordingly (that is "Mark Occurences"
as mentioned below). But if you then press F3, the line of first
declaration or initialization is focused iff that is in the current file.

One nice feature of JSEclipse I appreciate is that you can edit any `script'
element's contents in a new JSEclipse editor window (context menu, edit in
JSEclipse). If you save the changes there, the corresponding (HTML) file is
updated accordingly (but not saved automatically).

Neither feature is included in WST's JavaScript Editor yet.
Other functions like Mark Occurences or Autocompletion are provided.

Auto-completion is also supported by the JavaScript Editor of WST. This is
implemented better there as in the current JSEclipse version because it
displays JSDoc attached to functions.

JSEclipse, on the other hand, displays no JSDoc but the parameters after
auto-completion, while typing.

I would like the two projects to join their efforts in order to produce the
best J(ava)Script/ECMAScript editor available.

PointedEars
[1] http://www.interaktonline.com/Products/Eclipse/JSEclipse/Overview/
[2] http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/wst/main.php