    it was defined...

    Thanks in advance,

    Martin

    Martin Mücke, Aug 20, 2007

  2. Martin Mücke

    Nadim Attari Guest

    http://www.osalt.com/aptana

    Nadim Attari, Aug 20, 2007

    Perhaps JSEclipse? http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/jseclipse/

    > The best would be an editor similar to the Eclipse Java editor - I
    > want to be able to click on a function or variable to see how and were
    > it was defined...

    Though this is not supported by JSEclipse. Other functions like Mark
    Occurences or Autocompletion are provided.

    Gregor

    --
    http://www.gregorkofler.at ::: Landschafts- und Reisefotografie
    http://www.licht-blick.at ::: Forum für Multivisionsvorträge

    Gregor Kofler, Aug 20, 2007
  4. Martin Mücke

    Animesh K Guest

    Gregor Kofler wrote:
    > Martin Mücke meinte:
    >> Hi, I am looking for a good - if not THE BEST - Javascript Editor
    >> available, prefarably to include it in Eclipse.
    >> I found Aptana, but it still seems to be buggy, it had problems with
    >> special german characters.

    > Perhaps JSEclipse? http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/jseclipse/

    Why does it requires Sun Java Runtime Environment? Otherwise, i would be
    happy to use it.

    Animesh K, Aug 20, 2007
  5. Martin Mücke

    Guest

    > Why does it requires Sun Java Runtime Environment? Otherwise, i would be
    > happy to use it.

    It requires Eclipse to run as it is an Eclipse plugin. And Eclipse
    requires a JRE.

    , Aug 21, 2007
  6. Gregor Kofler wrote:
    > Martin Mücke meinte:
    >> Hi, I am looking for a good - if not THE BEST - Javascript Editor
    >> available, prefarably to include it in Eclipse.
    >> I found Aptana, but it still seems to be buggy, it had problems with
    >> special german characters.

    > Perhaps JSEclipse? http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/jseclipse/

    I have been using that since it was provided by InterAKT[1]. There is also
    one included in the Web Standard Tools[2], which is used automatically in
    HTML documents if you have the WST plugin installed (AIUI, JSEclipse is only
    for script files yet).

    >> The best would be an editor similar to the Eclipse Java editor - I
    >> want to be able to click on a function or variable to see how and were
    >> it was defined...

    > Though this is not supported by JSEclipse.

    It is, in a sense. If you position the text cursor on an identifier it is
    highlighted along with all of its occurences in the current file, and jump
    markers are set on the right border accordingly (that is "Mark Occurences"
    as mentioned below). But if you then press F3, the line of first
    declaration or initialization is focused iff that is in the current file.

    One nice feature of JSEclipse I appreciate is that you can edit any `script'
    element's contents in a new JSEclipse editor window (context menu, edit in
    JSEclipse). If you save the changes there, the corresponding (HTML) file is
    updated accordingly (but not saved automatically).

    Neither feature is included in WST's JavaScript Editor yet.

    > Other functions like Mark Occurences or Autocompletion are provided.

    Auto-completion is also supported by the JavaScript Editor of WST. This is
    implemented better there as in the current JSEclipse version because it
    displays JSDoc attached to functions.

    JSEclipse, on the other hand, displays no JSDoc but the parameters after
    auto-completion, while typing.

    I would like the two projects to join their efforts in order to produce the
    best J(ava)Script/ECMAScript editor available.

    PointedEars
    [1] http://www.interaktonline.com/Products/Eclipse/JSEclipse/Overview/
    [2] http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/wst/main.php
    --