    drawing using a e-pencil or something, in a defined space on the
    screen? best regards-:)JB:)

    , Jun 11, 2006

  2. cwdjrxyz Guest

    wrote:
    > hi, is there a pure javascript code (no Java applets), for painting or
    > drawing using a e-pencil or something, in a defined space on the
    > screen? best regards-:)JB:)

    I do not know exactly what you want to draw or paint, but script seems
    to be a difficult method to do this if you want to do anything very
    complicated. A good graphics program such as PaintShop is likely to be
    far easier to use for this sort of thing. You can generate simple
    images such as some geometric figures using the math functions of
    javascript, but this requires that you know a little analytical
    geometry as well as how to use the script math functions to do this.
    Using script to move images around that you already have (dhtml) is
    often not too difficult if you can write your own script. There also
    are some programs that will allow you to draw things using the cursor
    and screen. My Windows XP includes a little Microsoft program to do
    that.

    cwdjrxyz, Jun 11, 2006

  3. Re: JavaScript / For painting or drawing - anything out there likethis?

    Hi,

    wrote:
    > hi, is there a pure javascript code (no Java applets), for painting or
    > drawing using a e-pencil or something, in a defined space on the
    > screen? best regards-:)JB:)

    JavaScript is not good at graphics. On the Web, a possible alternative
    is SVG which can be scripted, thus allowing including new graphical
    elements. However, SVG is likely to disappear soon (oh the controversy
    ,-) because of its very poor support by Adobe, and by the coming-soon of
    WPF/E (CTP this July, release this winter) by Microsoft.

    WPF/E is a very powerful graphics engine which will run in IE6, IE7,
    Firefox, Opera on Windows, Safari on Macintosh, and later on Linux OSs.
    WPF/E will support C# business logic and will also be scriptable. Very
    exciting stuff really.

    See Mike Harsh's blog for details.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/mharsh

    HTH,
    Laurent
    --
    Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft

    Laurent Bugnion, Jun 11, 2006
  4. cwdjrxyz Guest

    cwdjrxyz wrote:
    There also
    > are some programs that will allow you to draw things using the cursor
    > and screen. My Windows XP includes a little Microsoft program to do
    > that.

    If you have or can use a computer with the Microsoft XP operating
    system, go to Start, select Accessories, and then select Paint. This is
    the program I had in mind, and it came installed on my computer. I have
    not used it, because PaintShop that I have handles image work that I
    need much better for me. I do not know the details of how this program
    is written, but it most likely uses some higher level computer
    languages such as C++, Java, etc as javascript often is too limited for
    elaborate programs designed to be run on a PC.

    cwdjrxyz, Jun 11, 2006
  5. Re: JavaScript / For painting or drawing - anything out there likethis?

    Hi,

    cwdjrxyz wrote:
    If you have or can use a computer with the Microsoft XP operating
    > system, go to Start, select Accessories, and then select Paint.

    I got to say, I fail to see how that will help the OP... Paint can
    obviously not be embedded in a web page (don't start talking about
    ActiveX please ;-) and is probably not what the OP had in mind.

    This is
    > the program I had in mind, and it came installed on my computer. I have
    > not used it, because PaintShop that I have handles image work that I
    > need much better for me. I do not know the details of how this program
    > is written, but it most likely uses some higher level computer
    > languages such as C++, Java, etc as javascript often is too limited for
    > elaborate programs designed to be run on a PC.

    A programming language is only as limited as the programer's knowledge
    ;-) or as the framework it runs on. Using JScript.NET, for example, you
    can do exactly the same as you would in C#, because the .NET framework
    exposes all the objects to JScript.NET. In the case of the web browser,
    the JavaScript framework doesn't allow painting on the screen, which is
    why it would be awkward to use JavaScript as a graphical framework in
    the web browser.

    HTH,
    Laurent
    --
    Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft

    Laurent Bugnion, Jun 11, 2006
  6. cwdjrxyz Guest

    Laurent Bugnion wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > cwdjrxyz wrote:
    > If you have or can use a computer with the Microsoft XP operating
    > > system, go to Start, select Accessories, and then select Paint.

    > I got to say, I fail to see how that will help the OP... Paint can
    > obviously not be embedded in a web page (don't start talking about
    > ActiveX please ;-) and is probably not what the OP had in mind.

    The OP did not specify if he or she wanted something that would work
    online for someone viewing a web page or if something was wanted that
    will allow drawing and painting while on the computer and offline. Just
    because one has a PC does not imply that it is used mainly on the web,
    or at all. Many PCs are never connected to the web. So unless one of us
    knows the OP, or has received an email, we can only guess what is
    wanted. We both have mentioned a few things that might work off and/or
    on the web. If the OP finds any of these leads interesting, a more
    detailed post might allow a more focused response. From the tone of the
    OP post and their profile, I am guessing that something rather simple
    and readymade is desired, but I am only guessing and could be very
    wrong.

    cwdjrxyz, Jun 11, 2006
  7. cwdjrxyz Guest

    cwdjrxyz wrote:
    > cwdjrxyz wrote:
    > There also
    > > are some programs that will allow you to draw things using the cursor
    > > and screen. My Windows XP includes a little Microsoft program to do
    > > that.

    > If you have or can use a computer with the Microsoft XP operating
    > system, go to Start, select Accessories, and then select Paint. This is
    > the program I had in mind, and it came installed on my computer. I have
    > not used it, because PaintShop that I have handles image work that I
    > need much better for me. I do not know the details of how this program
    > is written, but it most likely uses some higher level computer
    > languages such as C++, Java, etc as javascript often is too limited for
    > elaborate programs designed to be run on a PC.

    There is a free image program at
    http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php that you can download that
    allows you to process images in many ways as well as paint and draw on
    your computer. In addition, there have been online versions of this
    program that you can use without downloading the program. These often
    were used by WebTV users who cannot download anything. You can find and
    introduction and link to an online version at
    http://members.tripod.com/~ImageMagick/ . If you have the right host
    you could even put ImageMagick, or portions thereof, up on the server
    to allow users of you pages to use it or portions thereof. Some hosts
    that cater to WebTV users, such as wtv-zone, have portions of
    ImageMagick on their file manager pages. However I hear that the full
    program requires huge server resources and it could slow a server down
    greatly if a few people use it at one time. Many web host would not
    allow you to install and keep the full version as it could slow down
    the server too much.

    cwdjrxyz, Jun 11, 2006

    I don't know about WPF/E, but you are so definately right about Adobe.
    I'll avoid SVG and look at new technologies. Thank you so much!
    --Julie

    Laurent Bugnion wrote:
    > Hi,
    >

    > JavaScript is not good at graphics. On the Web, a possible alternative
    > is SVG which can be scripted, thus allowing including new graphical
    > elements. However, SVG is likely to disappear soon (oh the controversy
    > ,-) because of its very poor support by Adobe, and by the coming-soon of
    > WPF/E (CTP this July, release this winter) by Microsoft.
    >
    > WPF/E is a very powerful graphics engine which will run in IE6, IE7,
    > Firefox, Opera on Windows, Safari on Macintosh, and later on Linux OSs.
    > WPF/E will support C# business logic and will also be scriptable. Very
    > exciting stuff really.
    >
    > See Mike Harsh's blog for details.
    > http://blogs.msdn.com/mharsh
    >
    > HTH,
    > Laurent
    > --
    > Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft
    > Software engineering: http://www.galasoft-LB.ch
    > Private/Malaysia: http://mypage.bluewin.ch/lbugnion

    , Jun 12, 2006
  9. Evertjan. Guest

    wrote on 12 jun 2006 in comp.lang.javascript:
    > Laurent Bugnion wrote:
    >> JavaScript is not good at graphics. On the Web, a possible alternative
    >> is SVG which can be scripted, thus allowing including new graphical
    >> elements. However, SVG is likely to disappear soon (oh the controversy
    >> ,-) because of its very poor support by Adobe, and by the coming-soon of
    >> WPF/E (CTP this July, release this winter) by Microsoft.
    >>
    >> WPF/E is a very powerful graphics engine which will run in IE6, IE7,
    >> Firefox, Opera on Windows, Safari on Macintosh, and later on Linux OSs.
    >> WPF/E will support C# business logic and will also be scriptable. Very
    >> exciting stuff really.
    >>
    >> See Mike Harsh's blog for details.
    >> http://blogs.msdn.com/mharsh

    [please do not toppost on usenet]

    > I don't know about WPF/E, but you are so definately right about Adobe.
    > I'll avoid SVG and look at new technologies. Thank you so much!

    Simple "graph" graphics can very well be done by clientside javascript:

    <http://devrijehuisarts.org/test/jsgraph.asp>

    as I showed oct 2004 here:
    <http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.scripting.jscript/msg/2eb2
    9ecafa6105bf?hl=nl&>

    This is usefull for dynamic graphs, as static ones can better be shown as
    an image.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Jun 12, 2006
  10. cwdjrxyz Guest

    cwdjrxyz wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > hi, is there a pure javascript code (no Java applets), for painting or
    > > drawing using a e-pencil or something, in a defined space on the
    > > screen? best regards-:)JB:

    > You can generate simple
    > images such as some geometric figures using the math functions of
    > javascript, but this requires that you know a little analytical
    > geometry as well as how to use the script math functions to do this.

    I looked at a few of my old backups and pulled out a few examples of
    using javascript to draw and paint geometric images. For a limited
    time, these examples will be posted at my site at
    http://www.cwdjr.net/geometricDraw/ . I am afraid these do not use an
    e-pencil, and your "something" option is javascript math functions :)
    .. Some of the code is old and likely could be improved, but I do not
    have the time or interest to go over all of this again. At least the
    code validates as CSS and as html 4.01 strict at the W3C.

    cwdjrxyz, Jun 13, 2006