JavaScript for User interaction.

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Scamjunk, Apr 28, 2006.

  1. Scamjunk

    Scamjunk Guest

    I am trying to build an web-interface for the users to access a
    database, where the following features are to be provided :

    1. allow the user to run a tool to generate some data from give input.
    2. allow the users to generate or dynamically create (actually input
    their choices) a query.

    I have handled the first with some Perl code. I need to know something
    for the second one.

    i have buttons like "and", "or", "not", and a text box where the tables
    and fields to be searched are entered by the user. What i actually need
    it to do is:

    after the user enters a data, it should be appended in a text area. the
    user may click the buttons as many number of times as she wants, and it
    should append it to the textarea. The text area may also be directly
    accessed by the user, if she knows the query language being used. All
    this should be done without doing a call-back to the server till the
    validate button is clicked.

    Is this doable and if so, do I need to use Javascript for getting the
    user input in the manner mentione above? If so, could somebody guide me
    on the Javascript, as I am totally illiterate in it and this needs to
    be done asap. Please help. Any guidance is most welcome.

    TIA,
    Scam.
    Scamjunk, Apr 28, 2006

  2. Scamjunk

    J. Gleixner Guest

    Scamjunk wrote:

    > Is this doable and if so, do I need to use Javascript for getting the
    > user input in the manner mentione above? If so, could somebody guide me
    > on the Javascript, as I am totally illiterate in it and this needs to
    > be done asap. Please help. Any guidance is most welcome.

    Yes.

    Search the Internet, using your favorite search engine, or post your
    questions to a group about Javascript. If it needs to be done ASAP,
    then hire someone.
    J. Gleixner, Apr 28, 2006

  3. Scamjunk

    Guest

    "Scamjunk" <> wrote:

    > after the user enters a data, it should be appended in a text area. the
    > user may click the buttons as many number of times as she wants, and it
    > should append it to the textarea. The text area may also be directly
    > accessed by the user, if she knows the query language being used. All
    > this should be done without doing a call-back to the server till the
    > validate button is clicked.

    From a Perl perspective, that last sentence is rather unfortunate.

    > Is this doable and if so, do I need to use Javascript for getting the
    > user input in the manner mentione above?

    Probably, yes.

    > If so, could somebody guide me
    > on the Javascript,

    Probably, but this is a Perl group, so it is less likely that someone will.

    > as I am totally illiterate in it and this needs to
    > be done asap. Please help. Any guidance is most welcome.

    Check a javascript group. Perhaps a javascript jobs group.

    Xho

    Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB
    , Apr 28, 2006