JavaScript guidelines published

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Laurent Bugnion [MVP], Feb 5, 2007.

  1. Hi group,

    In agreement with the head of our R&D department, I published my firm's
    JavaScript Coding Guidelines. I work for Siemens Building Technologies.
    We developed these guidelines for a web application project in 2004,
    based on our C# guidelines.

    http://www.galasoft-lb.ch/myjavascript/Siemens_SBT_JavaScript_Coding_Guidelines.pdf

    Please note the following:

    * The purpose of publishing this document on the World Wide Web is to
    promote and encourage consistent practices in the JavaScript programming
    community.

    * We publish this document as information only. Siemens will not accept
    any responsibility regarding its content.

    * The guidelines are recommendations based on our experience, and may or
    may not make sense in the context of a different company, or a different
    project. Their intent is to be a source of inspiration for other
    JavaScript developers, and nothing more.

    * The guidelines are dated 20th of April 2004, which is quite some time
    ago. I think that most of the recommendations are still valid, but of
    course additions can be made.

    HTH,
    Laurent
    --
    Laurent Bugnion [MVP ASP.NET]
    Software engineering, Blog: http://www.galasoft-LB.ch
    Laurent Bugnion [MVP], Feb 5, 2007

  2. On Feb 5, 8:44 pm, "Laurent Bugnion [MVP]" <>
    wrote:
    [snip]
    Have you tried prototype.js...??
    I personally think that's the most awesome "guideline" a man can
    possible get!
    Created by a "God" for humans...!!
    :)

    ..t

    --
    http://ajaxwidgets.com
    Free ASP.NET Ajax Widgets NOW!
    Thomas Hansen, Feb 5, 2007

  3. Hi,

    Thomas Hansen wrote:
    > On Feb 5, 8:44 pm, "Laurent Bugnion [MVP]" <>
    > wrote:
    > [snip]
    > Have you tried prototype.js...??

    You got to be kidding, surely.

    Greetings,
    Laurent

    Laurent Bugnion [MVP], Feb 5, 2007
  4. Hi,

    I guess this needs a slightly more detailed reply.

    I took a look at prototype.js when it came out. While the idea is good
    (and some of the effects are actually nice), the library grew in an
    uncontrolled way. It has not been designed, it uses bad practices and is
    very badly documented.

    I am also quite active on the newsgroup comp.lang.javascript, where many
    JavaScript experts also write, and reading their comments about this
    library, added to my own experiences, is making me want to keep my
    fingers off prototype.js.

    There are other, better libraries out there, like the Yahoo UI library
    or other less well known ones, which I would probably use if I didn't
    know how to write the code myself (and didn't have fun doing it).

    Voila ;-)
    Laurent

    Laurent Bugnion [MVP], Feb 5, 2007
  5. Laurent Bugnion [MVP]

    Mark Rae Guest

    "Laurent Bugnion [MVP]" <> wrote in message

    >> Have you tried prototype.js...??

    > You got to be kidding, surely.

    Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure he isn't...
    Mark Rae, Feb 5, 2007
  6. Laurent Bugnion [MVP]

    clintonG Guest

    Thank you Laurent...
    I've already learned a lot from the Siemens C# guidelines.

    <%= Clinton Gallagher
    NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
    MAP http://wikimapia.org/#y=43038073&x=-88043838&z=17&l=0&m=h

    clintonG, Feb 6, 2007