Javascript handle drag and drop

Kai Zhu

I wrote a piece of code to handle drag and drop of DIV element.
The code works fine in firefox, but has some problem will IE. We I load the
HTML, I can not drag the DIV, and IE seems to be not responding to anything.
But when I minimize the IE window, and maximize it again, the code works
fine.
Can anybody give me some case that can cause this situation?

smerf

Kai Zhu said:
I wrote a piece of code to handle drag and drop of DIV element.
The code works fine in firefox, but has some problem will IE. We I load
the HTML, I can not drag the DIV, and IE seems to be not responding to
anything. But when I minimize the IE window, and maximize it again, the
code works fine.
Can anybody give me some case that can cause this situation?

What version of IE?

James Black

Kai said:
I wrote a piece of code to handle drag and drop of DIV element.
The code works fine in firefox, but has some problem will IE. We I load the
HTML, I can not drag the DIV, and IE seems to be not responding to anything.
But when I minimize the IE window, and maximize it again, the code works
fine.
Can anybody give me some case that can cause this situation?

You may want to show what your code looks like, for the DnD.

Also, if you can't figure out how to get it to work, you can look at
various libraries that will do DnD.

I am curious if when the user clicks on the div, if you then set the
mousemove event handler so that you can track where the mouse is at.

You should also set the mouseup at that point on the div, so that when
they release the mouse you can unset these two events, and stop the
dragging.

Here is a simple tutorial that may help you out:
http://www.webreference.com/programming/javascript/mk/column2/index.html

cwdjrxyz

Kai said:
I wrote a piece of code to handle drag and drop of DIV element.
The code works fine in firefox, but has some problem will IE. We I load the
HTML, I can not drag the DIV, and IE seems to be not responding to anything.
But when I minimize the IE window, and maximize it again, the code works
fine.
Can anybody give me some case that can cause this situation?

See the source code of http://www.cwdjr.net/test/newDrag.html . This
works on all browser that I have, including IE6, and it will drag
divisions, images, or text. The script is based on one posted in this
group 2 or 3 years ago by Lasse Nielsen as noted in a comment in the
source code. This question often comes up here. There are a lot of drag
codes out there that work only on a few browsers.

cwdjrxyz

TheBagbournes said:
You're wasting your time.

Use http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/

Thus site may work. However I can not recommend it. For example, in
their simple example of code to drag 3 objects, a very simple case,
they managed to generate over 200 lines of code on the main page with
links to 6 external scripts, and there were several validation errors
at the W3C validator. They seem to have generated a bloated
one-size-fits-all code, that reminds me of some of the Windows programs
for writing code. Also, for the several external scripts, you are
linking to an outside server rather than to your own if you are not
using Yahoo as a host. Of course you likely could download this whole
bloated mess of Yahoo scripts, but you will then have to put them all
up on your server and link to several external scripts every time you
wish to use even the most simple drag-and-drop operation.