Javascript In A Servlet??

Thomas Weidenfeller

Roedy said:
It just means putting your response at the top and the stuff the
other guy said that everyone has already read already underneath.

It irritates some people. They like reading the same old stuff over
and over and paging down 10 pages to get to where you say,
"I agree".

It has been pointed out to you multiple times that

(a) one should not just repeat "the same old stuff", but trim the
message so that the context to what they reply remains, and

(b) one should not post "I agree", or as they are commonly called
<AOL>Me too!</AOL> one-line responses.

It doesn't matter if you like top-posting or not, the established
standard on usenet is to not top post. Please stop using your silly
counter examples.

/Thomas

Liz

i agree

Thomas Weidenfeller said:
It has been pointed out to you multiple times that

(a) one should not just repeat "the same old stuff", but trim the
message so that the context to what they reply remains, and

(b) one should not post "I agree", or as they are commonly called
<AOL>Me too!</AOL> one-line responses.

It doesn't matter if you like top-posting or not, the established
standard on usenet is to not top post. Please stop using your silly
counter examples.

/Thomas

Roedy Green

It doesn't matter if you like top-posting or not, the established
standard on usenet is to not top post. Please stop using your silly
counter examples.

Other than it irritates fussbudgets, no one has ever explained why top
posting should cause any difficulty.

I never notice one way or the other. I suppose that is because I
almost never read the quoted material. It is just padding. If I
wanted to read it I could hit up arrow.

Most of the time I wish there were no quoted material. A post should
make sense on its own. Putting the quoted material at the bottom out
of my way strikes me as considerate!

So, though I won't top post just to avoid pulling people's tails, I
think they are being prissy to insist..

Michael Borgwardt

Roedy said:
Other than it irritates fussbudgets, no one has ever explained why top
posting should cause any difficulty.

A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
Q: Why is putting a reply at the top of the message frowned upon?
A: Top-posting.

Most of the time I wish there were no quoted material. A post should
make sense on its own.

How can it make sense of its own of it's written specifically in reply to
a part of a previous posting, possibly a small part of a long posting.
Even worse, what if the original posting discusses several topics and
you reply to all of them?

Quotes are absolutely necessary to provide context, they make postings
far easier and quicker to understand.

Steve Burrus

Michael said:
Quotes are absolutely necessary to provide context, they make postings
far easier and quicker to understand.

Hey, I wish to God that you guys would please create a brand new thread
to discuss all of this about the merits or lack of them of
"top-posting"!!! Capiche?? When I see a response to my thread
"Javascript In A Servlet??" I think that it's maybe a nice helpful bit
of advice about the thread topic (Ah, dumb me! :)), but it's always
about top-posting!