Javascript includes not recognised

Chris Barber

I think we have our own sub-thread here whilst the main thread keeps growing
arguing about dotnet vs. classic.

hehe :)

Chris.

Aha! Thanks Chris.

Martin

Martin Walke

Yep - I think we'll just let them get on with it. (Who wants dotnet
anyway?)!! ;-0

Martin

Martin Walke

That was my own feeling - I needed to have the files cached where I could as
the client will only allow 30k pages including includes, graphics etc. I
think that body_onload call will hopefully sort things out for me - if not I
can revisit the thread at a later date.

Thanks again
Martin

MMItchell

Just an FYI. I rebuilt the server for a 3rd time in 2 days and didn't install IE6 sp1 and the problem is gone.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

MMItchell said:
Just an FYI. I rebuilt the server for a 3rd time in 2 days and
didn't install IE6 sp1 and the problem is gone.

That means you did not get some major security updates ...

Bob Barrows

Ken Schaefer

Possibilities:

a) have an intro page for your site that caches the files, have this load
before any of the application pages that require the files

b) have some code in one of the included files that calls the functions (or
use the DOM to change the onLoad to call a function), rather than having the
main html page call the functions.

Cheers
Ken

: <<....is to allow the browser to cache the .js files>>
: And for us, in this application, that is important.
:
: Martin
:
: : > But that prevents the browser from caching the page since you are using
: > inline javascript.
: >
: > The whole point of <script src="/somewhereElse/something.js"
: > type="text/javascript"> is to allow the browser to cache the .js files
: > reducing the apparent response time of the application.
: >
: > Cheers
: > Ken
: >
: >
: >
: > : > : Chris Barber wrote on 17 feb 2004 in
: > : microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
: > :
: > : > Make sure you .js files are referenced in the HEAD section of the
html
: > : > - the page body shouldn't load until all elements of this section
have
: > : > loaded *unless* you specify that a script can be loaded
: > : > asynchronously.
: > : >
: > :
: > : Or you can ask serverside help.
: > :
: > : replace:
: > :
: > : <script type="text/javascript"
: > : src ="/js/myjavascript.js">
: > : </script>
: > :
: > :
: > : with:
: > :
: > : <script type="text/javascript">
: > : <!--#include virtual ="/js/myjavascript.js"-->
: > : </script>
: > :
: > :
: > : --
: > : Evertjan.
: > : The Netherlands.
: > : (Please change the x'es to dots in my emailaddress)
: >
: >
:
: