    .. Obviously I'd like to change that but when I set status='something...', it works all the time _except_ when the mouse is over the
    link... how do I change this?

    Adam Prenosil

    Adam Prenosil, Jul 30, 2003

  2. Adam Prenosil

    brucie Guest

    brucie, Jul 30, 2003

  3. Adam Prenosil

    DU Guest

    Adam Prenosil wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I've got a slight problem with my links. It goes like this: I'm using frames, so for easier navigation, I've got some functions (lik
    > e "Goto(Page)"). The problem is that when the user moves the mouse over the link, the status bar displays "javascript: blahblahblah"
    > .. Obviously I'd like to change that but when I set status='something...', it works all the time _except_ when the mouse is over the
    > link... how do I change this?
    >
    > Adam Prenosil

    That's one reason why the href value of a link should always be a real
    url and not a javascript call.

    "(...) A link should be a simple hypertext reference that replaces the
    current page with new content. (...) the link is not a piece of code
    that interferes with the browser's standard behavior."

    Top Ten Web-Design Mistakes of 2002
    6. JavaScript in Links
    http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20021223.html

    Without being able to examine your page and links, it's kinda difficult
    to suggest alternatives or to propose another way to code your links...
    An url would have been adequate here.

    Btw, if you're speaking Czech, I'm converting a Czech language pack for
    NS 7.1 these days.

    DU
    --
    Javascript and Browser bugs:

    DU, Jul 31, 2003
  4. "David Dorward" <> píse v diskusním príspevku news:bg90fb$3g6$1$...
    > Adam Prenosil wrote:
    >
    > > I've got a slight problem with my links. It goes like this: I'm using
    > > frames

    > Yes, frames cause a lot of problems.
    > http://david.us-lot.org/www/frames/ has some suggestions.

    No, it's not the frames, as this happens even without them. So the general question is: how do I prevent "javascript:..." from
    appearing in the statusbar, when I move the mouse over a link?

    Adam Prenosil / Preno

    Adam Prenosil, Jul 31, 2003

    Adam Prenosil, Jul 31, 2003
  6. "DU" <> wrote...

    [...]
    > That's one reason why the href value of a link should always be a real
    > url and not a javascript call.
    >
    > "(...) A link should be a simple hypertext reference that replaces the
    > current page with new content. (...) the link is not a piece of code
    > that interferes with the browser's standard behavior."
    >
    > Top Ten Web-Design Mistakes of 2002
    > 6. JavaScript in Links
    > http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20021223.html
    >
    > Without being able to examine your page and links, it's kinda difficult
    > to suggest alternatives or to propose another way to code your links...
    > An url would have been adequate here.

    Yeah, I guess so but I can't control the content of the other frames with urls... anyway, you gave me an idea - I'll implement it as
    normal text (span) and add onClick, onMouseOver and cursor. It's not a particularly good or clean way to do this but it works - and
    I don't expect thousands of hits on my page, so I guess I'll stick to that :).

    > Btw, if you're speaking Czech, I'm converting a Czech language pack for
    > NS 7.1 these days.
    >
    > DU

    Sure I do. Jasne ze mluvím cesky... that's good, I was in fact just thinking about trying other browsers than IE because it's buggy,
    it doesn't work very well with some of the sites and I've got problems with downloading some pages... a Czech language pack, you
    say? I'll see...

    Adam Prenosil / Preno

    Adam Prenosil, Jul 31, 2003
  7. In article <bgbgtt$1bc7$>, says...
    > "David Dorward" <> píse v diskusním príspevku news:bg90fb$3g6$1$...
    > > Adam Prenosil wrote:
    > >
    > > > I've got a slight problem with my links. It goes like this: I'm using
    > > > frames

    > > Yes, frames cause a lot of problems.
    > > http://david.us-lot.org/www/frames/ has some suggestions.

    > No, it's not the frames, as this happens even without them. So the general
    > question is: how do I prevent "javascript:..." from
    > appearing in the statusbar, when I move the mouse over a link?

    Don't use javascript for links, of course. If you want some fancy
    javascript thing to happen to the unwary then apply the onclick event to
    a standard link.

    You might then even find google indexing your site. Except that you use
    frames, so you're buggered anyway.

    Jacqui or (maybe) Pete, Jul 31, 2003
  8. Adam Prenosil wrote:

    > No, it's not the frames, as this happens even without them.

    If you didn't use the frames, you wouldn't have the functions for easier
    navigation, so you wouldn't have the broken links in the absense of JS or
    the ugly status messages.

    --
    David Dorward http://david.us-lot.org/
    Which is stupider: Pop-up ads claiming they'll stop spam, or spam claiming

    David Dorward, Jul 31, 2003
  9. Adam Prenosil

    DU Guest

    Adam Prenosil wrote:

    > "DU" <> wrote...
    >
    > [...]
    >
    >>That's one reason why the href value of a link should always be a real
    >>url and not a javascript call.
    >>
    >>"(...) A link should be a simple hypertext reference that replaces the
    >>current page with new content. (...) the link is not a piece of code
    >>that interferes with the browser's standard behavior."
    >>
    >>Top Ten Web-Design Mistakes of 2002
    >>6. JavaScript in Links
    >>http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20021223.html
    >>
    >>Without being able to examine your page and links, it's kinda difficult
    >>to suggest alternatives or to propose another way to code your links...
    >>An url would have been adequate here.

    > Yeah, I guess so but I can't control the content of the other frames with urls... anyway, you gave me an idea - I'll implement it as
    > normal text (span) and add onClick, onMouseOver and cursor. It's not a particularly good or clean way to do this but it works - and
    > I don't expect thousands of hits on my page, so I guess I'll stick to that :).

    If the end result is that a new page is loaded after a click, then using
    an href is adequate and correct. Otherwise, it's better to code a <span>
    or <p>

    >>Btw, if you're speaking Czech, I'm converting a Czech language pack for
    >>NS 7.1 these days.
    >>
    >>DU

    > Sure I do. Jasne ze mluvím cesky... that's good, I was in fact just thinking about trying other browsers than IE because it's buggy,
    > it doesn't work very well with some of the sites and I've got problems with downloading some pages... a Czech language pack, you
    > say? I'll see...
    >
    > Adam Prenosil / Preno

    Then I recommend downloading Netscape 7.1 Compact.
    http://www.holgermetzger.de/net7comp.html
    I hope to be able to complete the Czech language pack this weekend. And
    I'll upload it at this page:
    The download link for Czech language pack will be in the red bordered
    rectangle.

    DU
    --
    Javascript and Browser bugs: