    other side should have in its database? In other words, it's not about
    decoding with MD5, like base64, but just checksums?

    Thank you.
    jm, Nov 5, 2006

  2. jm

    RobG Guest

    --
    Rob
    RobG, Nov 5, 2006

  3. jm wrote:

    > Hi, I have a string I want to put in MD5. I found a script that will
    > do that (there were several), but I couldn't find anything that
    > translated it on the other side.

    That's because there isn't anything.

    > I don't think I understand what MD5, SHA-1, etc. are for.

    They are hash functions. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hash_function>
    Specifically the cryptographic variety, and are one-way (unlike encryption).

    [snip]

    Mike
    Michael Winter, Nov 5, 2006
  4. jm

    mwql Guest

    yeah you are right, afaik md5 is used like you described. Also, it's
    used for data validation. Often a md5sum is provided, for a linux
    distro, to check that what you have downloaded is uncorrupted (by
    checksumming the download and making sure both checksums are the same)

    mwql, Nov 6, 2006
  5. jm

    TC Guest

    mwql wrote:
    > yeah you are right, afaik md5 is used like you described. Also, it's
    > used for data validation. Often a md5sum is provided, for a linux
    > distro, to check that what you have downloaded is uncorrupted (by
    > checksumming the download and making sure both checksums are the same)

    It's probably no longer safe for that purpose, due to recent advances.

    For example, this site:
    http://cryptography.hyperlink.cz/MD5_collisions.html has a program
    with the following usage: pack3 file1 file2 file3 file4 file5 file6
    This creates two exe files with the same MD5 checksum. However, the
    first exe (when run) extracts files 1-3, whereas the second exe (when
    run) extract files 4-6! Oops.

    TC (MVP MSAccess)
    http://tc2.atspace.com
    TC, Nov 6, 2006