    (SUN) use JRE 1.5.0_0.9 for <applet> ticked?

    Any help appreciated?

    thanks
    Bateman27, Nov 26, 2006

  2. Bateman27 wrote:
    > Hi, don't know if this is the right place for this but wondered
    > if anybody can help. When I try to open a picture on gettyimages,
    > or a new chat window on MSN (either by clicking on the image,
    > or on the MSN username) nothing happens. If, in gettyimages,
    > I right click on the image and select to open in a new window
    > a new browser launches starting with "javascript:OpenChildWindow"
    > but comes up as page can not be displayed.

    Whether this is the right place or not is questionable, and your problem
    will not be solved here, though you may understand more as a result of
    asking.

    The - javascritp:OpenChildWindow - is a javascript pseudo-protocol URL
    (you are probably miss-reporting it as without at leas a pair of
    parenthesise on the end it would not be expected to do anything, it is
    more likely - javascript:OpenChildWindow(); -). Competent web developers
    don't use javascript pseudo-protocol URLs (for anything but debugging)
    as their activation has undesirable negative consequences of a number of
    browsers (including the popular IE6) and they break useful browser GUI
    features such as the ability to open a link in a new browser window (as
    you have observed).

    On the other hand, when you click on a javascript pseudo-protocol link
    the javascript specified is executed, and so should have some
    consequences. So why doesn't this work. The first candidate for blame
    must be MSN. If its web developers where competent they would not be
    using javascript pseudo-protocol URLs in the first place, and that
    incompetence may run to writing scripts that do not take into account
    some aspect of the configuration of your browser, resulting in the code
    erroring-out (and so not doing anything). The manifestation of that
    would be a little yellow triangle appearing in the lower left corner of
    IE's window (left side of the status bar). Double clicking that triangle
    brings up a javascript error-report (which does not help you at all,
    beyond assigning blame).

    (Microsoft have always tended to employ a very low calibre of
    web-developer, for example, if you visit MSDN with Internet explorer you
    frequently see javascript error reports stating that -
    parentElement.parentElement is null or not an object, where -
    parentElement - is IE specific code, which means that their developers
    are engaging in the relatively trivial task of writing for a single
    known environment (IE) and are still not capable of creating an error
    free script,)

    Another candidate as the cause of your problem are "internet security"
    programs running on your computer (the type that act as
    content-inserting/re-writing proxies). In some configurations these can
    inset code into the incoming pages that replace the - window.open -
    method with a version that will not open new browser windows (pop-up, or
    advertising blocking). The symptom of this that can be looked for is
    that if you use the - View->Source - item in IE's menu to look at the
    source of public Internet web pages you will find that they all contain
    an _identical_ block of javascript code near the top (regardless of
    which web site you visit). This would be (some of) the code inserted by
    the proxy. (you would expect some sites to use identical blocks of code
    in all their pages, but not different sites).

    If your problem is a proxy then you should be able to turn off its
    pop-up/advertising blocking in its configuration (or turn it of for MSN
    only). Though ultimately you can blame MSN for this also as they have no
    excuse for not expecting Internet users to be running Internet security
    programs (and so should see the implications and accommodate them in
    their design).

    > I don't know if this is any use but in Internet Options
    > I have Java (SUN) use JRE 1.5.0_0.9 for <applet> ticked?

    <snip>

    That is irrelevant as javascript and Java are two totally different
    languages using two totally different sub-systems when running inside a
    browser.

    Ricahrd.
    Richard Cornford, Nov 26, 2006

  3. Bateman27

    Randy Webb Guest

    Bateman27 said the following on 11/26/2006 8:35 AM:
    > Hi, don't know if this is the right place for this but wondered if
    > anybody can help. When I try to open a picture on gettyimages, or a new
    > chat window on MSN (either by clicking on the image, or on the MSN
    > username) nothing happens. If, in gettyimages, I right click on the
    > image and select to open in a new window a new browser launches
    > starting with "javascript:OpenChildWindow" but comes up as page can not
    > be displayed.

    There could be several reasons for that. Is there a yellow icon in the
    lower left corner of the page when you view gettyimages? Do you have
    scripting enabled? Do you have a popup blocker installed?

    > I don't know if this is any use but in Internet Options I have Java
    > (SUN) use JRE 1.5.0_0.9 for <applet> ticked?

    It doesn't matter as Javascript and Java are two different things with a
    similar name.

    --
    Randy
    Chance Favors The Prepared Mind
    Randy Webb, Nov 26, 2006
  4. Bateman27

    Guest

    Bateman27 wrote:

    > Hi, don't know if this is the right place for this but wondered if
    > anybody can help. When I try to open a picture on gettyimages, or a new
    > chat window on MSN (either by clicking on the image, or on the MSN
    > username) nothing happens. If, in gettyimages, I right click on the
    > image and select to open in a new window a new browser launches
    > starting with "javascript:OpenChildWindow" but comes up as page can not
    > be displayed.
    >
    > I don't know if this is any use but in Internet Options I have Java
    > (SUN) use JRE 1.5.0_0.9 for <applet> ticked?
    >
    > Any help appreciated?
    >
    > thanks

    Hi. I had exactly the same problem when trying to view the pics on
    Getty. I'd click on the thumbnails but the pics wouldn't open up. In
    the end it turned out it was my Norton Internet Security program that
    was the problem. I simply had to disable the Pop-Up Blocker on Norton
    and sure enough, I could see the pics on Getty straight away! If you
    use a toolbar (like Yahoo, etc) that have a pop-up blocker, instead of
    using the Norton one you should be fine. :)
    , Nov 30, 2006