JavaScript or JavaApplet basic encryption suggestion

Eli

Hi gurus,
My question is about exchanging data on a basic HTML page between a
JavaScript piece of code and a Java client-side <APPLET> residing on
the same webpage.

To demonstrate the idea of data encription at the client side to
students my idea is to build a simple <FORM> on the webpage with 2
text fields and a submit button. The student fills in the text field
on top and click Submit. At this moment, onsubmit() sends the text
field value to the client side applet which scrambles the contents and
returns the "encrypted" result to the webpage. The result should be
shown on the HTML page, inside the bottom text field.

The exchange question to you gurus is very basic:
q1. What is the proper syntax in the JavaScript to call the applet's
method myScramble(String theOriginalText)?
q2. What is the proper syntax in the method above to "return" the
result to the HTML page form field named TheEncryptedText?

Thank you all for taking the time to read the description above.
Kind regards,

Eli