    Will all Microsoft servers by default support any of these languages
    if I, say, want to distribute my application to various customers?
    Thank you.

    vunet, Jan 11, 2010

  2. vunet wrote:

    > Sorry for this generic question

    There is no question.

    > and I have read the differences of JavaScript and JScript on server
    > side, however, I want to hear what experts think about what to choose
    > when programming ASP pages in one of these two options.

    AFAIK there is no choice with ASP (.NET). It only supports JScript (.NET)
    as ECMAScript implementation.

    > I understand it may have to do with what the needs are. But let's say
    > I want to build a basic web application with database connectivity,
    > file system management, and a little bit of OOP for setting things up,
    > etc.

    I would be surprised if any of these requirements has anything to do with
    the choice of the programming language. It is the server-side environment
    that needs to provide the API instead.

    > Will all Microsoft servers by default support any of these languages

    Internet Information Server/Services with ASP (.NET) extensions supports
    JScript (.NET). Netscape Enterprise Server-compatible Web servers support
    Server-side JavaScript.

    > if I, say, want to distribute my application to various customers?

    Are your customers Web developers who want to use a server-side script
    library written by you?

    PointedEars

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Jan 11, 2010

  3. vunet

    vunet Guest

    > > Will all Microsoft servers by default support any of these languages
    >
    > Internet Information Server/Services with ASP (.NET) extensions supports
    > JScript (.NET).  Netscape Enterprise Server-compatible Web servers support
    > Server-side JavaScript.

    Are you saying additional component installation needs to happen to
    support server-side JavaScript?

    > Are your customers Web developers who want to use a server-side script
    > library written by you?

    No, my customers may be uneducated users who know nothing about
    technology.

    vunet, Jan 11, 2010