Javascript permissions

Anders Floderus

When I try to run javascript, I get the message
"To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has restricted this file
from showing active
content that could access your computer. Click here for options..."
If I chose to show blocked contents, it works all right.

Why ? I have javascript enabled and never get this message while browsing
the web.
I have removed everything except the most basic functionality (see below)
but it still
works this way.
What can I do so I can show the page without this interruption?

Thanks for any answer.
Anders

<head>
<title>jtest</title>
<script language="javascript">
<!---
--->
</script>
</head>
<script>
document.writeln('test writeln');
</script>

Douglas Crockford

When I try to run javascript, I get the message
"To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has restricted this file
from showing active
content that could access your computer. Click here for options..."
If I chose to show blocked contents, it works all right.

Why ? I have javascript enabled and never get this message while browsing
the web.
I have removed everything except the most basic functionality (see below)
but it still
works this way.
What can I do so I can show the page without this interruption?

Microsoft is committed to improving the Security of Windows. But they
don't know how to do that, so instead they do symbolic annoyances to
demonstrate their commitment. It is very much like security at airports.

Martin Honnen

Anders said:
When I try to run javascript, I get the message
"To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has restricted this file
from showing active
content that could access your computer. Click here for options..."
If I chose to show blocked contents, it works all right.

Why ? I have javascript enabled and never get this message while browsing
the web.

Then you are likely using Windows XP Service Pack 2 (Win XP SP 2) where
the settings have been changed, by default script is not allowed for
local files.
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/dhtml/overview/XpSp2Compat.asp>

John W. Kennedy

Anders said:
When I try to run javascript, I get the message
"To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has restricted this file
from showing active
content that could access your computer. Click here for options..."
If I chose to show blocked contents, it works all right.

Why ? I have javascript enabled and never get this message while browsing
the web.
I have removed everything except the most basic functionality (see below)
but it still
works this way.
What can I do so I can show the page without this interruption?

It's essentially like this.

You bought a house from Microsoft, but discovered that none of the doors
or windows have locks.

So after a few years of complaints, Microsoft came out with a
"solution", in the form of a proximity alarm that sounds a 120dB klaxon
whenever anyone comes within 50 feet of your house. To make sure it's
really safe, you have to turn it off by hand every time it sounds.

Get Firefox.

Grant Wagner

Douglas Crockford said:
Microsoft is committed to improving the Security of Windows. But they
don't know how to do that, so instead they do symbolic annoyances to
demonstrate their commitment. It is very much like security at
airports.

Microsoft has documentation that explains how to avoid this problem
using the Mark of the Web.

<url: http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/overview/motw.asp
/>
<-- saved from url=(0014)about:internet -->

It can also be disabled on a machine-by-machine basis by going to Tools
Internet Options > Advanced tab, scrolling down to Security and
checking "Allow active content to run in files on My Computer".

By next let the facts get in the way of a good "stick it to Microsoft"
tirade.

Grant Wagner

John W. Kennedy said:
[...]

But lets not let the facts get in the way of a good "stick it to
Microsoft" tirade.

Douglas Crockford

By next let the facts get in the way of a good "stick it to Microsoft"
But let's not let ...

I think you had it right the first time. Or did you?

John W. Kennedy

Grant said:
Microsoft has documentation that explains how to avoid this problem
using the Mark of the Web.

<url: http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/overview/motw.asp
/>

<-- saved from url=(0014)about:internet -->

It can also be disabled on a machine-by-machine basis by going to Tools
checking "Allow active content to run in files on My Computer".

But lets not let the facts get in the way of a good "stick it to
Microsoft" tirade.

The facts are that, despite warnings at the time from everyone with a
working brain in the industry, Microsoft designed an web browser that is
the security equivalent of dressing up in spike heels, fishnets, and a
teddy, going down to the docks, and shouting "Hello sailor!" at every
passing drunk.

And their "fix" to it has been equally irresponsible and moronic.

Of course, one doesn't expect thugs to be very bright.

--
John W. Kennedy
"But now is a new thing which is very old--