[JAVASCRIPT, PHP, MYSQL] Pass Variable from a non-trigger frame to another.

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by mailing@allstream.net, Dec 16, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hello, I am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction.
    I have 4 frames to my site. Two Rows, Two Columns.
    |--------------------------------|-------------------------|
    | | |
    | 1 | 2 |
    | | |
    |--------------------------------|-------------------------|
    | | |
    | | |
    | 3 | 4 |
    | | |
    | | |
    | | |
    |--------------------------------|-------------------------|

    Frame one is a search form - by city, province and postal code. The
    results are shown in frame 4. Frame 3 is a map and frame 2 is a static
    frame.

    How its working now:
    Once the person submits their search methond and search string
    (clicking on a submit button) frame 4 will list all the locations in
    that province for them to view. If a person would like to map a
    specific location from frame 4, they can click on a link and it will
    map it in frame #3. (All done via PHP, MYSQL, HTML and GOOGLE's API)

    What I would like to happen:
    Upon clicking the submit button in frame 1 (ie. say they select
    province), I would like frame 3 to map all of the results listed in
    frame #4. The only way I can think of accomplishing this is by, having
    frame 4 refresh frame 3 and append a URL encoded string with the
    coordinates.

    I am a newbie when it comes to javascript and I need some help to
    confirm if the following is correct.

    I have the following code at the end of Frame #4 - hoping that when it
    finishes displaying the results, it will reload frame 3.
    FRAME 4 CONTENTS (frame4.php) // frame3 is the name of the frame
    <!--
    fucntion refresh() {
    parent.frames["frame3"].location.href = "frame3.php?<? echo
    $URLSTRING; ?>";
    }
    -->
    </script>

    Can someone please point me in the right direction?
    Thank you,
    Jay Vee
    , Dec 16, 2005

    Re: Pass Variable from a non-trigger frame to another.

    After posting this, I realized that I spelled function wrong. I
    corrected it and it worked. Silly me. Since I already posted it, is
    there a way of having the values of the submit form sent to two frames
    at the same time? ... I have seen a few scripts on how to do it on an
    HREF, but that wont submit the form variables.

    Thanks again, and sorry for my silly mistake.
    Jay Vee
    , Dec 16, 2005