Javascript source files are acting strange with asp

Jason

I have two applications that I wrote that use asp and javascript
source files. Recently both of these applications starting acting
strange on my test box. Image icons will randomly stop showing up and
any javascript that I use a src file with

<script language="javascript" src="mytest.js"></script> )

returns random errors. Javascript on the page itself works fine. If I
click f5 multiple times I will get different results. I am thinking
that this may be a problem with IIS. The applications work flawlessly
on my live web server. They just don't seem to work properly on my
test box. I've tried the following to rectify the problem:

1. Cleaned up space and defragged

2. Reinstalled IIS

3. Reinstalled IE 6.0 SP 1

4. Used the windows repair utility.

5. Removed the .Net Framework

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am using Windows 2000 with IIS 5.0 and IE 6.0 SP 1

Hal Rosser

Try it out on a different browser - like mozilla firefox - or netscape
then on a different test box

George Hester

I have two applications that I wrote that use asp and javascript
source files. Recently both of these applications starting acting
strange on my test box. Image icons will randomly stop showing up and
any javascript that I use a src file with

<script language="javascript" src="mytest.js"></script> )

returns random errors. Javascript on the page itself works fine. If I
click f5 multiple times I will get different results. I am thinking
that this may be a problem with IIS. The applications work flawlessly
on my live web server. They just don't seem to work properly on my
test box. I've tried the following to rectify the problem:

1. Cleaned up space and defragged

This really only effects speed. Files are defragmented so that search time is reduced. Would really have nothing to do with JavaScript errors.
2. Reinstalled IIS

Unusual here. If you can access a simple ASP page then IIS is behaving. It always a good idea to test trivial examples and if they work all's well.
3. Reinstalled IE 6.0 SP 1

This one is a bitch. I would not install that browser in Windows 2000 but I don't think that's the issue.
4. Used the windows repair utility.

This is an installer repai utility. You are not trying to fix an installer issue so this was unncessary.
5. Removed the .Net Framework

Once removed it will be difficult to get it back in. Good luck if you decide to do that but I don't think thisd was the issue either.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am using Windows 2000 with IIS 5.0 and IE 6.0 SP 1

The issues you say you had are 9 times out of 10 due to Anti-virus software and or their updates. Also "security" updates from Microsoft can cause this. The errors are likely permissions errors and or incomplete connections due to security fixes.

I would try very trivial js and ASP. Make sure they work and work and work as you build them up to what you want. When the issue arises then you know that what you just did is the culprit.