Javascript ticker forces marquee outside box

Isaac Grover

Good evening from Wisconsin,

One of our clients has requested a horizontal scrolling marquee for one
line on one page of their site, and we're having a difficult time placing
the marquee inside the box that it is supposed to be in.

Here is the old look without the marquee:
http://www.recoveryandhealth.org/prototype/index-previous.html

And here is the new look with the marquee:
http://www.recoveryandhealth.org/prototype/index.html

What is the javascript ticker doing such that it moves itself outside the
box?

Thanks in advance,

Aaron Saray

Good evening from Wisconsin,

One of our clients has requested a horizontal scrolling marquee for one
line on one page of their site, and we're having a difficult time placing
the marquee inside the box that it is supposed to be in.

Here is the old look without the marquee:http://www.recoveryandhealth.org/prototype/index-previous.html

And here is the new look with the marquee:http://www.recoveryandhealth.org/prototype/index.html

What is the javascript ticker doing such that it moves itself outside the
box?

Thanks in advance,

Could it be that the javascript ticker uses absolute positioning? If
this is the case, the box cannot determine the height of the ticker,
nor that it is indeed supposed to contain the ticker. You will have
to give the box a hardset height in order to 'contain' the scroller, I
think.

-aaron

cwdjrxyz

Could it be that the javascript ticker uses absolute positioning? If
this is the case, the box cannot determine the height of the ticker,
nor that it is indeed supposed to contain the ticker. You will have
to give the box a hardset height in order to 'contain' the scroller, I
think.

The ticker js file is at http://www.recoveryandhealth.org/prototype/js/ticker.js
.. If you look at the last line of the code, you will see that relative
positioning is used. The problem indeed is likely with the ticker
script. Since the ticker creates a division, I would at first assign a
z-index of perhaps 2 or 3 to it to see if the left of the ticker box
is just hidden under the right box of the main page or not. It might
help to assign a lower z-index to the division of the right box on the
main page.Of course one can position the ticker box anywhere on the
page using absolute positioning and adjusting z-index values for
various divisions to determine what is on top if the ticker box
overlaps something. The disadvantage comes when one changes the screen
dimensions. The main part of the page will adjust to the new screen
width and height, but the absolute positioned ticker box will not. Of
course one could use more elaborate script to detect page dimensions,
calculate the new position required for the ticker box, and use
document.write to determine the absolute coordinates for the ticker
box for the new width/height setting. In short, the project could
easily turn into a complete rewrite of the js.

cwdjrxyz

[...]

Oops. I should have said left box rather than right box. That is , the
box that contains Home, About Us, etc. I also just viewed the page on
Opera. It works as it should on a normal PC screen width of 1000+ px.
However in the view tab, Opera allows you to select viewing as on a
small devices such as a mobile unit or cell phone. When you view on
this very small screen size, the contents of the left box are
completely displayed. Then, under that, the contents of the right
box(side) are displayed. However the marquee produced by the js is not
displayed at all.

Travis Newbury

What is the javascript ticker doing such that it moves itself outside the
box?

Do you really think the marquee is an improvement to the site? I
heard it here before and it goes something like this:

"Why is something so important that you feel you need to put it on
your home page, but so unimportant that you want me to wait around to
read it?"

Isaac Grover

Do you really think the marquee is an improvement to the site? I
heard it here before and it goes something like this:

"Why is something so important that you feel you need to put it on
your home page, but so unimportant that you want me to wait around to
read it?"

No, I don't think the ticker is an improvement, but the client wants
some of the viewer's attention drawn to the survey box and I suggested
that the marquee would be the most uninstrusive and least obnoxious
method of doing so. Plus there are only three words being scrolled so
the viewer won't be waiting for minutes to read a marquee'd speech for
example.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 08 Jan 2008 16:35:08
GMT Isaac Grover scribed:
No, I don't think the ticker is an improvement, but the client wants
some of the viewer's attention drawn to the survey box and I suggested
that the marquee would be the most uninstrusive and least obnoxious
method of doing so. Plus there are only three words being scrolled so
the viewer won't be waiting for minutes to read a marquee'd speech for
example.

If your client is from Wisconsin, too, you could center the survey box in a
nice hunk of cheese as an alternative...

Sean

No, I don't think the ticker is an improvement, but the client wants
some of the viewer's attention drawn to the survey box and I suggested
that the marquee would be the most uninstrusive and least obnoxious
method of doing so.

Centering the user's attention on a particular part of the page should be
done through styling instead of annoying/distracting animations. Make
the survey box stand out from the rest of the page and visitors' eyes
will be drawn to it.