Javascript ticker forces marquee outside box

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Isaac Grover, Jan 7, 2008.

  1. Isaac Grover

    Isaac Grover Guest

    Good evening from Wisconsin,

    One of our clients has requested a horizontal scrolling marquee for one
    line on one page of their site, and we're having a difficult time placing
    the marquee inside the box that it is supposed to be in.

    Here is the old look without the marquee:
    http://www.recoveryandhealth.org/prototype/index-previous.html

    And here is the new look with the marquee:
    http://www.recoveryandhealth.org/prototype/index.html

    What is the javascript ticker doing such that it moves itself outside the
    box?

    Thanks in advance,
    --
    Isaac Grover, Owner
    Quality Computer Services of River Falls, Wisconsin

    Isaac Grover, Jan 7, 2008

  2. Isaac Grover

    Aaron Saray Guest

    On Jan 6, 11:10 pm, Isaac Grover <> wrote:
    > Good evening from Wisconsin,
    >
    > One of our clients has requested a horizontal scrolling marquee for one
    > line on one page of their site, and we're having a difficult time placing
    > the marquee inside the box that it is supposed to be in.
    >
    > Here is the old look without the marquee:http://www.recoveryandhealth.org/prototype/index-previous.html
    >
    > And here is the new look with the marquee:http://www.recoveryandhealth.org/prototype/index.html
    >
    > What is the javascript ticker doing such that it moves itself outside the
    > box?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > --
    > Isaac Grover, Owner
    > Quality Computer Services of River Falls, Wisconsin
    > Web:http://www.qcs-rf.com

    Could it be that the javascript ticker uses absolute positioning? If
    this is the case, the box cannot determine the height of the ticker,
    nor that it is indeed supposed to contain the ticker. You will have
    to give the box a hardset height in order to 'contain' the scroller, I
    think.

    -aaron

    Aaron Saray, Jan 8, 2008

  3. Isaac Grover

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Jan 7, 6:36 pm, Aaron Saray <> wrote:
    > On Jan 6, 11:10 pm, Isaac Grover <> wrote:
    >

    > > Good evening from Wisconsin,

    > > One of our clients has requested a horizontal scrolling marquee for one
    > > line on one page of their site, and we're having a difficult time placing
    > > the marquee inside the box that it is supposed to be in.

    > > Here is the old look without the marquee:http://www.recoveryandhealth.org/prototype/index-previous.html

    > > And here is the new look with the marquee:http://www.recoveryandhealth.org/prototype/index.html

    > > What is the javascript ticker doing such that it moves itself outside the
    > > box?

    > > Thanks in advance,
    > > --
    > > Isaac Grover, Owner
    > > Quality Computer Services of River Falls, Wisconsin
    > > Web:http://www.qcs-rf.com

    > Could it be that the javascript ticker uses absolute positioning? If
    > this is the case, the box cannot determine the height of the ticker,
    > nor that it is indeed supposed to contain the ticker. You will have
    > to give the box a hardset height in order to 'contain' the scroller, I
    > think.

    The ticker js file is at http://www.recoveryandhealth.org/prototype/js/ticker.js
    .. If you look at the last line of the code, you will see that relative
    positioning is used. The problem indeed is likely with the ticker
    script. Since the ticker creates a division, I would at first assign a
    z-index of perhaps 2 or 3 to it to see if the left of the ticker box
    is just hidden under the right box of the main page or not. It might
    help to assign a lower z-index to the division of the right box on the
    main page.Of course one can position the ticker box anywhere on the
    page using absolute positioning and adjusting z-index values for
    various divisions to determine what is on top if the ticker box
    overlaps something. The disadvantage comes when one changes the screen
    dimensions. The main part of the page will adjust to the new screen
    width and height, but the absolute positioned ticker box will not. Of
    course one could use more elaborate script to detect page dimensions,
    calculate the new position required for the ticker box, and use
    document.write to determine the absolute coordinates for the ticker
    box for the new width/height setting. In short, the project could
    easily turn into a complete rewrite of the js.

    cwdjrxyz, Jan 8, 2008
  4. Isaac Grover

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Jan 8, 12:17 am, cwdjrxyz <> wrote:
    > On Jan 7, 6:36 pm, Aaron Saray <> wrote:
    >

    > > On Jan 6, 11:10 pm, Isaac Grover <> wrote:

    > > > Good evening from Wisconsin,

    > > > One of our clients has requested a horizontal scrolling marquee for one
    > > > line on one page of their site, and we're having a difficult time placing
    > > > the marquee inside the box that it is supposed to be in.

    > > > Here is the old look without the marquee:http://www.recoveryandhealth.org/prototype/index-previous.html

    > > > And here is the new look with the marquee:http://www.recoveryandhealth.org/prototype/index.html

    > > > What is the javascript ticker doing such that it moves itself outside the
    > > > box?

    > > > Thanks in advance,
    > > > --
    > > > Isaac Grover, Owner
    > > > Quality Computer Services of River Falls, Wisconsin
    > > > Web:http://www.qcs-rf.com

    > > Could it be that the javascript ticker uses absolute positioning? If
    > > this is the case, the box cannot determine the height of the ticker,
    > > nor that it is indeed supposed to contain the ticker. You will have
    > > to give the box a hardset height in order to 'contain' the scroller, I
    > > think.

    > The ticker js file is athttp://www.recoveryandhealth.org/prototype/js/ticker.js
    > . If you look at the last line of the code, you will see that relative
    > positioning is used. The problem indeed is likely with the ticker
    > script. Since the ticker creates a division, I would at first assign a
    > z-index of perhaps 2 or 3 to it to see if the left of the ticker box
    > is just hidden under the right box of the main page or not. It might
    > help to assign a lower z-index to the division of the right box on the
    > main page.Of course one can position the ticker box anywhere on the
    > page using absolute positioning and adjusting z-index values for
    > various divisions to determine what is on top if the ticker box
    > overlaps something. The disadvantage comes when one changes the screen
    > dimensions. The main part of the page will adjust to the new screen
    > width and height, but the absolute positioned ticker box will not. Of
    > course one could use more elaborate script to detect page dimensions,
    > calculate the new position required for the ticker box, and use
    > document.write to determine the absolute coordinates for the ticker
    > box for the new width/height setting. In short, the project could
    > easily turn into a complete rewrite of the js.

    Oops. I should have said left box rather than right box. That is , the
    box that contains Home, About Us, etc. I also just viewed the page on
    Opera. It works as it should on a normal PC screen width of 1000+ px.
    However in the view tab, Opera allows you to select viewing as on a
    small devices such as a mobile unit or cell phone. When you view on
    this very small screen size, the contents of the left box are
    completely displayed. Then, under that, the contents of the right
    box(side) are displayed. However the marquee produced by the js is not
    displayed at all.

    cwdjrxyz, Jan 8, 2008
  5. On Jan 7, 12:10 am, Isaac Grover <> wrote:
    > What is the javascript ticker doing such that it moves itself outside the
    > box?

    Do you really think the marquee is an improvement to the site? I
    heard it here before and it goes something like this:

    "Why is something so important that you feel you need to put it on
    your home page, but so unimportant that you want me to wait around to
    read it?"

    Travis Newbury, Jan 8, 2008
  6. Isaac Grover

    Isaac Grover Guest

    On Jan 8, 4:36 am, Travis Newbury <> wrote:
    > On Jan 7, 12:10 am, Isaac Grover <> wrote:
    >
    > > What is the javascript ticker doing such that it moves itself outside the
    > > box?

    > Do you really think the marquee is an improvement to the site? I
    > heard it here before and it goes something like this:
    >
    > "Why is something so important that you feel you need to put it on
    > your home page, but so unimportant that you want me to wait around to
    > read it?"

    No, I don't think the ticker is an improvement, but the client wants
    some of the viewer's attention drawn to the survey box and I suggested
    that the marquee would be the most uninstrusive and least obnoxious
    method of doing so. Plus there are only three words being scrolled so
    the viewer won't be waiting for minutes to read a marquee'd speech for
    example.

    Isaac Grover, Jan 8, 2008
  7. Isaac Grover

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 08 Jan 2008 16:35:08
    GMT Isaac Grover scribed:

    > On Jan 8, 4:36 am, Travis Newbury <> wrote:
    >> Do you really think the marquee is an improvement to the site? I
    >> heard it here before and it goes something like this:
    >>
    >> "Why is something so important that you feel you need to put it on
    >> your home page, but so unimportant that you want me to wait around to
    >> read it?"

    > No, I don't think the ticker is an improvement, but the client wants
    > some of the viewer's attention drawn to the survey box and I suggested
    > that the marquee would be the most uninstrusive and least obnoxious
    > method of doing so. Plus there are only three words being scrolled so
    > the viewer won't be waiting for minutes to read a marquee'd speech for
    > example.

    If your client is from Wisconsin, too, you could center the survey box in a
    nice hunk of cheese as an alternative...

    --
    Neredbojias
    Riches are their own reward.

    Neredbojias, Jan 8, 2008
  8. Isaac Grover

    Sean Guest

    On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 08:35:08 -0800, Isaac Grover wrote:

    > No, I don't think the ticker is an improvement, but the client wants
    > some of the viewer's attention drawn to the survey box and I suggested
    > that the marquee would be the most uninstrusive and least obnoxious
    > method of doing so.

    Centering the user's attention on a particular part of the page should be
    done through styling instead of annoying/distracting animations. Make
    the survey box stand out from the rest of the page and visitors' eyes
    will be drawn to it.

    Sean, Jan 8, 2008