JavaScript vs VbScript

Guest

Hi all,

Our client applies IE as their only acceptable browser, so it makes more
sense for us to employ only VbScript as the client side language. My question
is this, is there any area that VbScript has deficiency or is less compatible
than JavaScript?
Thanks in advance,

Roy

Mark Rae [MVP]

Our client applies IE as their only acceptable browser, so it makes more
sense for us to employ only VbScript as the client side language.

??? Why does it make more sense...?

Aidy

I can't think of any real advantage javascript has over VBS, but I'd
recommend you still not use VBScript and use javascript anyway. The may use
a version of IE that supports VBS now, but what about in the future? What
about when the MD wants to access the system from home on FireFox? What
happens if MS ditch VBS support in the future?

To future-proof your solution I'd advise you use javascript.

bruce barker

the main restriction of vbscript is event handling in the browser.
vbscript events can not fire until after load, so can not be used for
inline events, also you can not dynamically attach them.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

sloan

My opinion is this was ok logic for a IE intranet application, 6-7 years
ago.

But I don't think it makes sense today.

Stick with javascript.

Rad [Visual C# MVP]

Hi all,

Our client applies IE as their only acceptable browser, so it makes more
sense for us to employ only VbScript as the client side language. My question
is this, is there any area that VbScript has deficiency or is less compatible
than JavaScript?
Thanks in advance,

Roy

If I were you I'd go the javascript route for a number of reasons:
- Much more code and examples are available in javascript than
vbscript
- Things change -- tomorrow you might have to support firefox or
netscape navigator or safari. Do the grunt work early