    and turn humans into slaves.

    Throw away javascript, fast, or your brain will be damaged beyond
    repair!
    Karl-Hugo Weesberg, Oct 23, 2004

  2. Karl-Hugo Weesberg

    McKirahan Guest

    "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote in message
    news:1h70oi9ahb47j$.1c1vdnw9iuh0u$...
    > On 22 Oct 2004 21:29:05 -0700, Karl-Hugo Weesberg wrote:
    >
    > > Throw away javascript, fast, or your brain will be damaged beyond
    > > repair!

    > You were too slow.
    >
    > Don't cross-post. Follow-ups set to c.l.js.
    >
    > --
    > Andrew Thompson
    > http://www.LensEscapes.com/ Images that escape the mundane

    I gather that it is alright to cross-post but not multi-post:
    http://www.aspfaq.com/5003/
    McKirahan, Oct 23, 2004

  3. "McKirahan" <> writes:

    > I gather that it is alright to cross-post but not multi-post:
    > http://www.aspfaq.com/5003/

    Yes, but when cross-posting, you should select groups carefully so
    your message is on-topic for all of them, and you *must* set the
    Followup-To header to point to one of the groups.

    /L
    --
    Lasse Reichstein Nielsen -
    Lasse Reichstein Nielsen, Oct 23, 2004
  4. JRS: In article <>, dated Sat, 23 Oct 2004
    12:46:31, seen in news:comp.lang.javascript, Lasse Reichstein Nielsen
    <> posted :
    >"McKirahan" <> writes:
    >
    >> I gather that it is alright to cross-post but not multi-post:
    >> http://www.aspfaq.com/5003/

    >Yes, but when cross-posting, you should select groups carefully so
    >your message is on-topic for all of them, and you *must* set the
    >Followup-To header to point to one of the groups.

    The latter is emphatically NOT an accepted requirement. While a branch
    of a thread remains on-topic to all the groups that it is going to, the
    articles should continue to go to all those groups. When a branch is no
    longer on-topic for one or more of those groups, then the newsgroups
    line should be reduced accordingly, generally with a brief note in the
    body. To move discussion from group A to group B, add B to the
    newsgroups list in a reply, with follow-ups set to exclude A; note
    likewise in the body.

    Don't be influenced by your southern neighbours.

    McKirahan would do better to cite a known accepted Usenet authority - an
    RFC, a Usefor draft, etc.

    For example, current USEFOR thinking is visible in work-in-progress
    <URL:http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/
    draft-ietf-usefor-useage-00.txt>
    and <URL:http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/
    draft-ietf-usefor-article-13.txt>; it makes no such suggestion.

    --
    © John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v4.00 MIME ©
    Dr John Stockton, Oct 23, 2004
  5. "Lasse Reichstein Nielsen" <> wrote in message news:...
    > "McKirahan" <> writes:
    >
    > > I gather that it is alright to cross-post but not multi-post:
    > > http://www.aspfaq.com/5003/

    > Yes, but when cross-posting, you should select groups carefully so
    > your message is on-topic for all of them, and you *must* set the
    > Followup-To header to point to one of the groups.

    <snip>

    How do I do that in Microsoft Outlook Express? And wouldn't that mean if the post was replied to in one
    newsgroup it wouldn't be seen in the others? Is that really a good idea?

    --
    George Hester
    __________________________________
    George Hester, Oct 24, 2004
  6. On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 14:35:35 GMT, George Hester <>
    wrote:

    [Setting follow-ups]

    > How do I do that in Microsoft Outlook Express?

    When you're composing a message, look for the "All headers" item in the
    View menu (or one of its sub-menus). This will add a couple of header
    lines, including Follow-up.

    > And wouldn't that mean if the post was replied to in one newsgroup it
    > wouldn't be seen in the others?

    Assuming the next person to reply respects the follow-up, then yes, their
    post will only go to the specified group(s).

    > Is that really a good idea?

    If a subject isn't on-topic, it shouldn't appear in that particular
    newsgroup. As you should indicate when the follow-up header is set,
    there's no harm as responders will have been told about the change in
    destination.

    [snip]

    Mike

    --
    Michael Winter
    Michael Winter, Oct 24, 2004
  7. "Michael Winter" <> wrote in message news:eek:psgdqtxn6x13kvk@atlantis...
    > On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 14:35:35 GMT, George Hester <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > [Setting follow-ups]
    >
    > > How do I do that in Microsoft Outlook Express?

    > When you're composing a message, look for the "All headers" item in the
    > View menu (or one of its sub-menus). This will add a couple of header
    > lines, including Follow-up.

    <snip>

    OK I tried that. I get Followup-To. Thanks for making that one clear.

    --
    George Hester
    __________________________________
    George Hester, Oct 24, 2004
  8. JRS: In article <>, dated Sun,
    24 Oct 2004 00:40:09, seen in news:comp.lang.javascript, Andrew Thompson
    <> posted :

    >Now, that's an interesting point, let's examine it for a moment..
    >
    >The x-post was across major hierarchies, to two groups.

    Nothing wrong with that.

    >Newsgroups: comp.lang.javascript,can.uucp

    The original article is on-topic here, though to me both the Subject and
    the body looked trollish.

    It has no obvious relevance to CANada, nor to the UUCP copying protocol
    (was that not used for News, OUAT?). A number of articles of a similar
    nature have appeared in other interesting groups, cross-posted to
    can.uucp, from the same author.

    Dr John Stockton, Oct 25, 2004
  9. JRS: In article <>, dated Sun,
    24 Oct 2004 00:40:09, seen in news:comp.lang.javascript, Andrew Thompson
    <> posted :

    >Aaaah.. (smiles) Back on slightly more familiar
    >territory. Try.. RFC 1855 - "Netiquette Guidelines"*
    >Section 3.1.3, point 1.
    ><http://www.physci.org/rfc/rfc1855.jsp#3_1_3>
    >
    >( ..and yes, Dr. J.S., I *do* specifically want you throwing
    >your IE 4 at that page, are there any problems? )

    JRS, if you please.

    On following that link, I did see the text to which you refer, briefly.
    IE4 then died, leaving an unresponsive system. After a couple of
    minutes or so, Win98 re-awoke, but with no IE windows showing (I usually
    have several). In the meanwhile, I had dropped the dial-up by
    unplugging.

    I had waited until news/mail/FTP had ceased, and the line was idle; past
    experience suggests that they would probably have continued - Turnpike
    seems robust.

    I did see that you had reduced accessibility by imposing your own choice
    of font face and probably of size. I've set my browser up with what
    suits me best.

    I found a copy in my cache, edited out the Google references, and the
    page then succeeded.

    It is not a faithful copy of RFC 1855, since it contains added material.
    That added material could have been placed logically-outside the rest,
    before the genuine material and in some form of box. Standards should
    only be copied unaltered. I grant that yours might be a copy of an
    "official" HTML version of the original ASCII text.

    The page contains HTML errors, according to my copy of W3's TIDY.

    ISTM that it would be better to link to a recognised RFC site or a major
    mirror such as Simtel, Demon or Garbo. My www-use1.htm includes :-

    Dr John Stockton, Oct 25, 2004