    this problem but still Javscript will not work on my windows XP. I don't
    know where to turn from here, Microsoft surely does not have any info about
    on their website. Help!! Please
    Steven Green, Aug 15, 2003

  2. Steven Green

    kaeli Guest

    In article <ic9%a.94019$>, stevengreen66
    @neo.rr.com enlightened us with...
    > I did a clean install of Windows XP on my computer and my javascript will
    > not work. I've tried all types of browsers, I've download the Service pack
    > 1 for XP and IE. I have download java from Sun, which I know is not
    > javascript but it could not hurt. I have done everything I know of to fix
    > this problem but still Javscript will not work on my windows XP. I don't
    > know where to turn from here, Microsoft surely does not have any info about
    > on their website. Help!! Please

    Define "not work", if you could be more specific. Do you get any errors?
    Does no script execute at all, even a really simple test page, like so?
    (copy/paste into test.html, save it somewhere, then File->Open in
    browser)

    <script>alert("hi.");</script>

    Did you check that the browser's preferences are set to allow scripts to
    run?

    I can't think of anything else...

    ~kaeli~
    Why do people who know the least know it the loudest?
    If that cell phone was up your a$$, maybe you could
    drive a little better!
    http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
    http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace
    kaeli, Aug 15, 2003

  3. Steven Green

    Steven Green Guest

    The HTML scripted worked, but when I try and open the application page I'm
    using, I get this: YOUR WEB BROWSER MUST HAVE JAVASCRIPT ENABLED TO VIEW
    THIS WEBPAGE and I get the applet box with a X at the top left hang corner.
    I have always have javascript enabled under the settings in IE, Netscape and
    Opera browsers, they all do the same thing, so it's a issue with the OS I
    would guess.

    Steven Green, Aug 15, 2003
  4. Steven Green

    kaeli Guest

    In article <j6a%a.94596$>, stevengreen66
    @neo.rr.com enlightened us with...
    > The HTML scripted worked,

    Then your javascript works fine. It's some other quirky thing.
    Do check the NG Lee mentioned, too (microsoft newsgroup).

    > but when I try and open the application page I'm

    Which application?
    Have you tried other sites? Most commercial sites these days use JS. Try
    www.webshots.com - they use a lot of script. If they work, it may just
    be the application you're using doing a crummy job of detecting script.

    I'm just guessing here; do check the microsoft NGs, too.

    > using, I get this: YOUR WEB BROWSER MUST HAVE JAVASCRIPT ENABLED TO VIEW
    > THIS WEBPAGE and I get the applet box with a X at the top left hang corner.

    Red X would be a java applet, broken image, or embedded object. It would
    not be javascript.
    You may have a problem with your java virtual machine. Again, the
    microsoft newsgroups probably know more about that, too.

    If you do find out what was wrong, please post a follow-up here for the
    archives (and for me, I'm curious *g*).
    kaeli, Aug 15, 2003
  5. Steven Green

    Grant Wagner Guest

    Are you sure you're not talking about "Java", and not "JavaScript"? They are
    totally unrelated, and the fact that you get an "applet box" seems to indicate
    you are talking about "Java".

    You indicate that you have already downloaded the Sun Java plug-in, but you
    should check to ensure it's actually installed and working properly.

    Start -> Run -> type "cmd" (no quotes), hit Enter

    Type "java -version" (no quotes), hit Enter

    indicates that JavaScript /is/ enabled, and your problem lies elsewhere.

    --
    | Grant Wagner <>

    *

    *