    my question is do i have enough credentials based on what i plan to
    learn and what i know or do i need more (javascript coldfusion
    oracle,etc.)? if i need more what do i need?

    123tee, Nov 5, 2003

  2. > my question is do i have enough credentials based on what i plan to
    > learn and what i know or do i need more (javascript coldfusion
    > oracle,etc.)? if i need more what do i need?

    A lot of people in here will probably say:

    "Just make you sure you know how to make valid HTML taking into
    consideration accessibility and usability. Use HTML for structure and CSS
    for styling..." etc.

    It doesn't hurt to know other technologies such as XML, CSS, JavaScript,
    Java (although maybe a waste of time nowadays), Flash, etc. just in case a
    client requests something like that. Also, learning server-side programming
    (ie. ASP, PHP) will help a lot.

    I'll put it this way, there are a lot of people out there earning money for
    making websites that could be re-created by a chimp with a banana up it's
    arse. As long as you're more sensible than they are, you're safe.

    Nicko.

    e n | c k m a, Nov 5, 2003

  3. 123tee

    Steve Pugh Guest

    (123tee) wrote:

    >do i have to learn java script or any other programming language( cold
    >fusion, oracle,etc.) before i recieve webmaster certification?

    That would depend on who's issuing the certification, wouldn't it?
    Why don't you ask them?

    >already know how to do basic html photoshop and dreamweaver. i want
    >to learn flash and begin my own web business. there are people who
    >want me to do websites for them but i don't know if i'm good enough.

    Do you know CSS? If not then that should be the first step after HTML
    and graphics.

    In general do you want to focus on front end work (doing the design
    and layout, maybe some JavaScript effects and/or Flash movies as
    well), or on back end work (server side programming, databases,
    etc.). Some people (especially one man companies that do mostly
    smaller sites) do both, but rarely to equal degrees.

    >my question is do i have enough credentials based on what i plan to
    >learn and what i know or do i need more (javascript coldfusion
    >oracle,etc.)? if i need more what do i need?

    On the front end sidse, CSS is a must and JavaScript and/or
    Flash/Actionscript are desirable.

    On the back end, Cold Fusion and Oracle would probably be overkill for
    the sort of sites you're likely to be building if you're just starting
    out as a one man band. PHP and mySQL are a more usual combination,
    though there's always a use for Perl. And MS technologies (ASP,
    Access, SQL Server) are also more widely used than Cold Fusion and
    Oracle.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

    Steve Pugh, Nov 5, 2003
  4. Hi,
    If your going to be doing any back end work (databases, data processing
    etc) I would suggest either teaming up with an established programmer or
    doing some reading on software design and practices.

    cio
    Derek.

    --
    cio