JavaSE/EE + Tomcat 6 + Windows service on 64 bit

Karsten Wutzke

Hello,

sorry for x-post, but clj.help has become rather low activity.

I set up a new computer with Windows 7 64 bit and I am wondering about
which downloads I need for Java development. I need the following
components:

JavaSE
JavaEE (5)
Ant
Tomcat 6

I started by downloading JDK 32 bit, I thought it would be better to
stick with something that isn't that new. But Tomcat 6 32 bit wouldn't
let itself install as a Windows service, because it must be 64 bit
(known problem). Now the question is:

Which software do I need in which version?

JDK in 64 bit?
For Java EE I couldn't find any 64 bit downloads!
Does Ant work with 64 bit Java?
Tomcat 64 bit

The problem is Java EE, there are no 64 bit downloads.

Alternative:
I read about people manually replacing the 32 bit tomcat.exe with a 64
bit version. Is that reliable??

Should I reinstall 64 bit Java or just go for the Tomcat replacement.
(Note, I won't need GBs of Java runtime memspace)

Does JavaEE make a difference between 32 bit and 64 bit?

Thanks for helping.
Karsten

Lew

Karsten said:
sorry for x-post, but clj.help has become rather low activity.

This was not a cross-post, which would have been acceptable. This was a
multi-post, which is not.

See my answer on clj.help.

Arne Vajhøj

sorry for x-post, but clj.help has become rather low activity.

I set up a new computer with Windows 7 64 bit and I am wondering about
which downloads I need for Java development. I need the following
components:

JavaSE
JavaEE (5)
Ant
Tomcat 6

I started by downloading JDK 32 bit, I thought it would be better to
stick with something that isn't that new. But Tomcat 6 32 bit wouldn't
let itself install as a Windows service, because it must be 64 bit
(known problem). Now the question is:

Which software do I need in which version?

JDK in 64 bit?

If you want 64 bit then download the 64 bit version.
For Java EE I couldn't find any 64 bit downloads!

That is because Java EE is pure Java. If the JVM is 64 bit then it runs
64 bit.
Does Ant work with 64 bit Java?
Yes.

Tomcat 64 bit

Tomcat itself is also pure Java.

It is only the service wrapper thingy that are 32 or 64 bit.

If you need 64 bit then download 64 bit.

The problem is Java EE, there are no 64 bit downloads.

Not a problem. See above.
Does JavaEE make a difference between 32 bit and 64 bit?

If you need more than 2 GB of memory: yes.

Arne

Karsten Wutzke

This was not a cross-post, which would have been acceptable.  This was a
multi-post, which is not.

Why did I know someone would remind me of this...? Of course, this was
not an x-post.
See my answer on clj.help.

OK.

Thanks
Karsten

Karsten Wutzke

This was not a cross-post, which would have been acceptable.  This was a
multi-post, which is not.

See my answer on clj.help.

I have another problem now: my installed Eclipse's won't run anymore.
It makes sense. Now eclipse.org doesn't offer any 64 bit all-in-one
packages for PHP and JEE/BIRT, so I either have the choice to install
all dependencies manually or revert back to 32 bit JDK.

Can I revert back to 32 bit JDK/JRE and use a 64 bit executable to
start Tomcat as a Windows service?

Conflicts conflicts... hate em.

Karsten

Arne Vajhøj

I have another problem now: my installed Eclipse's won't run anymore.
It makes sense. Now eclipse.org doesn't offer any 64 bit all-in-one
packages for PHP and JEE/BIRT, so I either have the choice to install
all dependencies manually or revert back to 32 bit JDK.

Can I revert back to 32 bit JDK/JRE and use a 64 bit executable to
start Tomcat as a Windows service?

Conflicts conflicts... hate em.

You can have two JDK's installed on the same system.

It may take a little tweaking to get the apps to pick
the right one, but it can be done.

Arne