JavaWebStart and Mac OSX

Rudi Angela

In said:
I have software which runs on Java Web Start with no Windows specific
code. Apparently folks with Macs have trouble running it. Could anyone
here possibly have insight as to what the issue(s) might be?

I very much appreciate your effort to keep Mac folks happy!

I tried the URL on MacOSX 10.2.8, using the Safari web browser and MS
Explorer.
Explorer managed to recognize the webstart app and start it, though I
ended up with an empty window.
The Safari browser did not recognize the webstart app, so all it did was
download the content.
I have no idea what makes Safari trip over this one. I have made a
comparison with another webstart URL I happen to know that works with
Safari.
Perhaps you can discover a significant difference.

Good luck,

Rudi Angela

Here is Cycom's webstart URL, which works fine with Safari:
http://www.cycom.co.uk/club/login.jnlp

Here are the contents received from the two URL's:
Yours:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<jnlp spec="1.0+" codebase="http://www.harpsoft.com/apps" >
<information>
<title>Bendometer PS</title>
<vendor>Harpsoft.com</vendor>
<homepage href="http://www.harpsoft.com/"/>
<description>Harmonica Software</description>
<description kind="short">Harmonica software for assisting
playing</description>
<icon href="32x32_harmonica.gif" />
<icon kind="splash" href="Bendologo.gif" />
</information>
<security>
<all-permissions/>
</security>
<resources>
<j2se version="1.3+"/>
<jar href="Bendometer.jar" download="eager" /> <!-- Must
be first -->
<jar href="kunststoff.jar" download="eager" />
<jar href="hessian-3.0.1.jar" download="eager" />
</resources>
<application-desc>
<argument>http://www.harpsoft.com/bendometer/servlet/
BendoServlet.jsp</argument>

<argument>mactest</argument>

</application-desc>
</jnlp>

Cycoms:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!-- JNLP File for Club Cycom Login 27 OCTOBER 2003-->
<jnlp
spec="1.0+"
codebase="http://www.cycom.co.uk/club/"
href="http://www.cycom.co.uk/club/login.jnlp">
<information>
<title>Club Cycom - Enjoy!</title>
<vendor>Cycom Limited</vendor>
<homepage href="docs/help.html"/>
<description>Club Cycom - secure managed services</description>
<description kind="short">secure managed services</description>
<icon href="images/login.jpg"/>
<offline-allowed/>
</information>
<security>
<all-permissions/>
</security>
<resources>
<j2se version="1.4+"/>
<jar href="lib/loginSigned.jar"/>
<jar href="lib/cyterm1Signed.jar"/>
<jar href="lib/aeroSigned.jar"/>
<jar href="lib/myx509Signed.jar"/>
<jar href="lib/log4jSigned.jar"/>
<jar href="lib/vecmathSigned.jar"/>
<jar href="lib/cryptSigned.jar"/>
<jar href="lib/igesSigned.jar"/>
</resources>
<application-desc main-class="com.cyterm.login.Main"/>
</jnlp>

Here are the content headers:
Yours:
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 12:51:19 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.29 (Unix) mod_auth_passthrough/1.8 mod_log_bytes/1.2
mod_bwlimited/1.4 Resin/2.1.12 PHP/4.3.3 FrontPage/5.0.2.2634 mod_ssl/2.
8.16 OpenSSL/0.9.7a
Cache-Control: public

Cycoms:
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 12:46:31 GMT
Etag: "c5fb1d:v1v5hvlo"
Last-Modified: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 03:56:54 GMT
Server: Jigsaw/2.2.0