javax.naming.directory.Attributes and DNS

Discussion in 'Java' started by Roedy Green, Oct 18, 2003.

  1. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    I have code like this using javax.naming.directory.Attributes;

    DirContext ictx = new InitialDirContext();
    Attributes attrs = ictx.getAttributes("dns://" + dnsServer + "/" +
    domain, types);

    Unfortunately for it to work it needs the IP of a DNS server.

    1. Can I find a DNS server programmatically? Currently I configure it
    in which is a major hassle since customers have no clue what a DNS
    server is.

    2. I vaguely recall hearing in 1.4.2 somewhere there is some way to do
    that or to bypass the need for a DNS server. Does anyone remember the
    details?

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Oct 18, 2003