javax.naming.directory.Attributes and DNS

Roedy Green

I have code like this using javax.naming.directory.Attributes;

DirContext ictx = new InitialDirContext();
Attributes attrs = ictx.getAttributes("dns://" + dnsServer + "/" +
domain, types);

Unfortunately for it to work it needs the IP of a DNS server.

1. Can I find a DNS server programmatically? Currently I configure it
in which is a major hassle since customers have no clue what a DNS
server is.

2. I vaguely recall hearing in 1.4.2 somewhere there is some way to do
that or to bypass the need for a DNS server. Does anyone remember the
details?