javax.net.ssl Sockets and OKing self-signed certificates

Richard Maher

Hi,

I would dearly love a server with a "self-signed certificate" to be
accessible by my javax.net.ssl.startHandshake() but it seems to consistently
crap-out with a failure :-( Look I've only ever tested the client code
(please see below) with a https server (just to see if everything was
kosher) and it maybe something I'm doing wrong. I just couldn't find
anything in the handshake listener that controlled self-cert.

So, is my code crap? or is there a bit I need to toggle to get the behaviour
I require?

Please help if you can.

Cheers Richard Maher

import java.io.BufferedOutputStream;
import java.io.BufferedInputStream;
import java.io.IOException;
import java.net.InetAddress;
import java.net.InetSocketAddress;
import java.net.Socket;
import java.net.UnknownHostException;
import java.net.SocketTimeoutException;
import java.lang.System;
import javax.net.ssl.SSLSocket;
import javax.net.ssl.SSLSocketFactory;

public class Tier3Socket
{
public static final
String T3ID="T3$";
public static final
int USERSIZ=40;
public static final
int T3IDBUFSIZ=48;
public static final
int CREDBUFSIZ=80;
public static final
int CONTIMOUT=3000;

public byte [] t3IdBuf;
public byte [] readBuf;
public byte [] writeBuf;

private String host;
private int port;
private int maxBufSiz;
private int bytesIn;
private String hostCharSet;
private Socket t3Sock;
private SSLSocketFactory sockFactory;
private BufferedInputStream in;
private BufferedOutputStream out;
private byte [] outUser;
private byte [] outPwd;
private byte [] credBuf;
private String inMsg;
private String stringOut;
private boolean sslReqd;

Tier3Socket (String host, int port, int maxBufSiz, String hostCharSet,
boolean sslReqd)
{
this.host = host;
this.port = port;
this.maxBufSiz = maxBufSiz;
this.hostCharSet = hostCharSet;
this.bytesIn = 0;
this.sslReqd = sslReqd;

t3IdBuf = new byte[T3IDBUFSIZ];
readBuf = new byte[maxBufSiz];

if (sslReqd)
sockFactory = (SSLSocketFactory)SSLSocketFactory.getDefault();
}

public void open() throws UnknownHostException, IOException
{
if (sslReqd)
t3Sock = (SSLSocket)sockFactory.createSocket();
else
t3Sock = new Socket();

t3Sock.setKeepAlive(true);
t3Sock.setReuseAddress(true);
t3Sock.setTcpNoDelay(true);
t3Sock.connect(new InetSocketAddress(host,port), CONTIMOUT);

in = new BufferedInputStream (t3Sock.getInputStream() ,maxBufSiz);
out = new BufferedOutputStream (t3Sock.getOutputStream(),maxBufSiz);

if (sslReqd)
{
((SSLSocket)t3Sock).setUseClientMode(true);

try {((SSLSocket)t3Sock).startHandshake();}
catch (IOException e)
{
System.out.println("Failed SSL Handshake");
throw new IOException("Can't SSL on Socket");

public void handShake(String username, String password) throws IOException
{
credBuf = new byte[CREDBUFSIZ];

outUser = username.getBytes(hostCharSet);
System.arraycopy(outUser, 0, credBuf, 0, outUser.length);

outPwd = password.getBytes(hostCharSet);
System.arraycopy(outPwd, 0, credBuf, USERSIZ, outPwd.length);

out.write(credBuf, 0, CREDBUFSIZ);
out.flush();

if (in.read(t3IdBuf) < t3IdBuf.length)
{
System.out.println("Read < " + Integer.toString(t3IdBuf.length) + "
bytes");
throw new IOException();
}

inMsg = new String(t3IdBuf, 0, 3, hostCharSet);

if (!inMsg.equals(T3ID))
{
throw new IOException();

public void sendUrgentData (int oob) throws IOException
{
t3Sock.sendUrgentData(oob);
}

public void setTimeout(int msecs) throws UnknownHostException, IOException
{
t3Sock.setSoTimeout(msecs);
}

public void close () throws IOException
{
if (t3Sock != null && !t3Sock.isClosed())
{
try {t3Sock.close();}
catch (Exception e)
{e.printStackTrace();}

public void buffMessage (String message) throws IOException
{
byte [] msg = message.getBytes(hostCharSet);

out.write(msg);
}

public void sendMessage (String message) throws IOException
{
byte [] msg = message.getBytes(hostCharSet);

out.write(msg);
flush();
}

public void flush () throws IOException
{
out.flush();
}

public int readMessage () throws IOException
{
return readMessage(readBuf.length);
}

public int readMessage (int bytes) throws IOException
{
try
{
bytesIn = in.read(readBuf, 0, bytes);
}
catch (SocketTimeoutException e)
{
return 0;
}

return bytesIn;
}

public String getString () throws ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException
{
return getString(0, bytesIn);
}

public String getString (int offset, int length) throws
ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException
{
if ((offset + length) > bytesIn)
{
throw new ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException();
}
try
{
stringOut = new String(readBuf, offset, length, hostCharSet);
}
catch (Exception e)
{
return null;