javax.xml.transform.Transformer and HTML entities

Aéris

Arne Vajhøj

I use Transformer to create a HTML file from an DOM Document.
But in generated HTML, all «& » on text nodes in the document, which
are parts of already escaped HTML entities like «&nbsp; », are
re-escaped by Transformer.

See this sample : http://pastebin.com/LfGpWMai
Instead of expected
I get

I search on doc and Google, but nothing found to disable escaping.
Is there anybody to help me ?

The code does exactly what it is supposed to do.

document.createTextNode("&mdash;")

creates a text node with those 7 characters.

Try:

document.createTextNode("\u2014")

Arne

Jeff Higgins

Hi,

I have a problem with Java XML Transformer escaping.

I use Transformer to create a HTML file from an DOM Document.
But in generated HTML, all «& » on text nodes in the document, which
are parts of already escaped HTML entities like «&nbsp; », are
re-escaped by Transformer.

See this sample : http://pastebin.com/LfGpWMai
Instead of expected
I get

I search on doc and Google, but nothing found to disable escaping.
Is there anybody to help me ?

Thanks

I'm sorry I cannot help. I only comment that I am experiencing
the opposite problem with javax.xml.stream.EventReader. Either I
haven't figured out how to configure the reader or haven't grokked
the XML. Best of luck.

markspace

I use Transformer to create a HTML file from an DOM Document.
But in generated HTML, all «& » on text nodes in the document, which
are parts of already escaped HTML entities like «&nbsp; », are
re-escaped by Transformer.

See this sample : http://pastebin.com/LfGpWMai
Instead of expected
I get

I tried this:

final Writer out = new StringWriter();
final Source in = new StreamSource(

transformer.transform( in, new StreamResult( out ) );
System.out.println( out );

And got an error:

[Fatal Error] :1:19: The entity "mdash" was referenced, but not declared.
ERROR: 'The entity "mdash" was referenced, but not declared.'

So it's been a rather long while since I played with XSLT, but it seems
to me that it might be your document builder that is protecting you, and
the XSLT is just spitting out what it gets in. I forget though how to
get XSLT to recognize the HTML entities though. Search Google might
offer some clues.

[...]

Parsing XML file/string and building a DOM document
are somewhat different.

Arne