JAWS failure

Discussion in 'Java' started by Roedy Green, Feb 22, 2008.

  1. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    This just started happening.

    I can run a JAWS app from within the browser.
    But when I later go to run from the desktop icon it says I don't have
    Java 1.6 installed.

    Here is a typical JNLP file after JAWS has normalised it:

    <jnlp spec="1.6+" codebase="http://mindprod.com/replicator/"
    href="http://mindprod.com/replicator/replicatorreceiverwebsite.jnlp">
    <information>
    <title>The Replicator 9.6 via website</title>
    <vendor>Canadian Mind Products</vendor>
    <homepage href="http://www.mindprod.com/"/>
    <description>Replicates files via website. Also keeps them up to
    date efficiently.</description>
    <description kind="short">Replicates files via
    website.</description>
    <description kind="one-line">Replicates files via
    website.</description>
    <description kind="tooltip">the Replicator</description>
    <icon href="http://mindprod.com/replicator/replicator.gif"
    height="64" width="64" kind="default"/>
    <icon href="http://mindprod.com/replicator/replicatorsplash.gif"
    height="128" width="128" kind="splash"/>
    <shortcut online="true">
    <desktop/>
    <menu submenu="The Replicator"/>
    </shortcut>
    </information>
    <security>
    <all-permissions/>
    </security>
    <update check="timeout" policy="always"/>
    <resources>
    <java initial-heap-size="134217728" max-heap-size="536870912"
    java-vm-args="-ea" href="http://java.sun.com/products/autodl/j2se"
    version="1.6+"/>
    <jar href="http://mindprod.com/replicator/replicator.jar"
    download="eager" main="false"/>
    <property name="VIA" value="website"/>
    <property name="PROJECT_NAME" value="Mindprod.com"/>
    <property name="UNIQUE_PROJECT_NAME"
    value="com.mindprod.replicator"/>
    <property name="SUGGESTED_RECEIVER_BASE_DIR" value="C:\mindprod"/>
    <property name="SUGGESTED_RECEIVER_ZIP_STAGING_DIR"
    value="C:\mpstaging"/>
    <property name="WEBSITE_ZIP_URL"
    value="http://mindprod.com/replicator"/>
    <property name="SUGGESTED_LAN_ZIP_URL"
    value="http://mindprod.com/replicator"/>
    <property name="KEEP_ZIPS" value="false"/>
    <property name="UNPACK_ZIPS" value="true"/>
    <property name="AUTHENTICATION" value="none"/>
    <property name="DEBUGGING" value="true"/>
    </resources>
    <application-desc main-class="com.mindprod.replicator.Replicator"/>
    </jnlp>
    --

    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary
    Roedy Green, Feb 22, 2008

  2. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 20:31:40 GMT, Roedy Green
    <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    someone who said :

    >I can run a JAWS app from within the browser.
    >But when I later go to run from the desktop icon it says I don't have
    >Java 1.6 installed.

    I tried reinstalling Java . No joy. I can run JAWS apps from a
    browser, but not from the desktop icon.

    Roedy Green, Feb 22, 2008

  3. Roedy Green

    someone who said :

    >I can run a JAWS app from within the browser.
    >But when I later go to run from the desktop icon it says I don't have
    >Java 1.6 installed.

    I have improved things a bit by uninstalling the JDK and wiping clean
    the directories, registry, stuff all stuff in the control panel and
    the desktop icons and C:\users and reinstalling.

    Now JAWS apps will start within the javaws -viewer. They will launch
    from a JNLP on the desktop, but the won't launch from the icons JAWS
    creates on the desktop. It still complains Java 1.6+ is not
    installed.

    Roedy Green, Feb 23, 2008
  4. Roedy Green wrote:

    > On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 20:31:40 GMT, Roedy Green
    > <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    > someone who said :
    >
    > >I can run a JAWS app from within the browser.
    > >But when I later go to run from the desktop icon it says I don't have
    > >Java 1.6 installed.

    > I tried reinstalling Java . No joy. I can run JAWS apps from a
    > browser, but not from the desktop icon.

    Could you have a JVM from a different vendor that is a bully?

    Check the executable the desktop icon links to, then paste that (full
    path) into a commandline with -version. That should give some clue,
    hopefully.

    Also, try rebooting in between de- and re-installs, if you haven't.
    --
    Sabine Dinis Blochberger

    Op3racional
    www.op3racional.eu
    Sabine Dinis Blochberger, Feb 25, 2008
  5. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 10:21:02 GMT, Sabine Dinis Blochberger
    said :

    >Could you have a JVM from a different vendor that is a bully?
    >
    >Check the executable the desktop icon links to, then paste that (full
    >path) into a commandline with -version. That should give some clue,
    >hopefully.
    >
    >Also, try rebooting in between de- and re-installs, if you haven't.

    just Sun, just JDK 1.6.0_04.

    The desktop links invoke javaws.exe with a cache entry. That is
    definitely a place to dig.

    I think I rebooted, but just in case I will try again. thank you. I
    have been baffled by this one, since it USED to work, and I can't
    think of anything I changed that would be relevant.

    Roedy Green, Feb 25, 2008
  6. Roedy Green

    said :

    >Also, try rebooting in between de- and re-installs, if you haven't.

    i tried an elaborate reinstall following the instructions at
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jdk.html#FAILED

    no joy. same behaviour. Presumably the trouble
    must be somewhere in windows.

    Roedy Green, Feb 25, 2008
  7. Roedy Green wrote:

    > On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 10:21:02 GMT, Sabine Dinis Blochberger
    > said :
    >

    > >Also, try rebooting in between de- and re-installs, if you haven't.

    > i tried an elaborate reinstall following the instructions at
    > http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jdk.html#FAILED
    >
    > no joy. same behaviour. Presumably the trouble
    > must be somewhere in windows.

    Yeah, it's a major peeve I have with MS Windows systems, no two
    installations of the same OS behave the same!

    Your problem really is a doozie. Do the java executables work in a
    command line? Double check the environment settings.

    Other things you can try is a checkdisk and defrag.
    --
    Sabine Dinis Blochberger

    Op3racional
    www.op3racional.eu
    Sabine Dinis Blochberger, Feb 26, 2008
  8. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 09:41:26 GMT, Sabine Dinis Blochberger
    said :

    >Your problem really is a doozie. Do the java executables work in a
    >command line? Double check the environment settings.

    I can launch the JAWS apps fine in several ways:
    - in a browser
    - with an JNLP icon shortcut
    - within Javaws.exe

    Just not via the shortcuts javaws creates on the desktop that point
    into the cache.

    It somehow thinks Java is not installed.

    I can't figure out what possibly could be different before and after.
    It USED to work. The only thing I can think of is some Vista update.

    Roedy Green, Feb 28, 2008