JAXB - useful or a hindrance?

Discussion in 'Java' started by mat, Apr 11, 2004.

  1. mat

    mat Guest

    I'm pondering utilising JAXB to interrogate SOAP messages defined in a
    schema. However, as currently concocted the schema will likely have
    to change/evolve frequently with new element types being added which
    would mean having to recompile the derived-classes and, more
    importantly, recode the app. I see two ways around this

    a) ditch JAXB and use more general methods to interrogate the document
    e.g.

    getPropertyValue(String property)

    as opposed to

    getPropertyX()

    or

    b) make the schema itself more extensible
    e.g. by have a more generic element type with variable
    sub-elements/attributes which satisfy my needs for the forseeable
    future - the only difficulty here being the forseeing.

    Any advice appreciated.

    mat, Apr 11, 2004