JBoss 7

Tom Anderson

Yo!

Anyone here using JBoss 7? I've just started getting to grips with it, and
my head is swimming. I'd be interested to hear about anyone's experiences
with it.

So far, the good: it starts up really, really fast. 1.7 seconds for an
empty container. I know the time to start an empty container doesn't mean
much, but that's certainly a lot faster than any previous version could do
it! Also, the way modules are now loaded on demand, so that i don't have
to worry about whether i need the 'default' or 'all' profiles, or about
doing any slimming.

The bad: they appear to have got rid of the idea of servers (as in
$JBOSS_HOME/server), which was something i have always leaned on very
heavily. It's not clear to me how you're supposed to manage a system which
has multiple completely independent applications which you'd like to be
able to run as separate processes (as a typical dev box does). Running a
standalone setup only appears to support one process per machine, and
running a domain setup rather implies that the processes are part of a
cohesive unit - you have to list them all in host.xml.

I really need to be able to take a project, build it into a WAR or EAR,
and deploy it to the app server as its own process, all pretty much
automatically. Needing to grub around in host.xml defeats that.

So far, i've written a shell script which is a replacement for
standalone.sh which should let me do this, but i haven't used it seriously
yet. I feel like i shouldn't be needing to replace out-of-the-box scripts
to do this.

tom

Robert Klemme

[...]

<guessing>Maybe they figured it wasn't a too good idea to run multiple
servers from one installation directory because you might run into all
sorts of issues where you need an update of one installation and all
others are affected as well. I guess you now have to do multiple
installations, i.e. in different directories.</guessing>

Kind regards

robert

Tom Anderson

<guessing>Maybe they figured it wasn't a too good idea to run multiple
servers from one installation directory because you might run into all
sorts of issues where you need an update of one installation and all
others are affected as well. I guess you now have to do multiple
installations, i.e. in different directories.</guessing>

A novel and intriguing idea! An installation is only 82 MB, and can
probably be reduced to almost nothing with the proper use of symlinks.
Worth investigating!

tom