JBoss packages deployable to Sun J2EE?

Raydog

I am curious if my JBoss packaged EJBs are deployable to a Sun J2EE server
instead of
JBoss Server.

thanks so much

Sudsy

Raydog said:
I am curious if my JBoss packaged EJBs are deployable to a Sun J2EE server
instead of
JBoss Server.

thanks so much

Assuming that they're packaged as wars or ears and contain the appropriate
deployment descriptors, applications should be portable to ANY J2EE server.
You typically have to perform some work during the installation, resolving
references and the like, but the whole point of the standard was to make
the server a "plug-and-play" component. The same philosophy gave us JDBC
as an alternative to proprietary vendor extensions to "standard" SQL. You
should be able to pull your Oracle database and replace it with DB/2 without
having to recode the application. And portability is one of the features of
BMP entity EJBs which some people seem to miss. It's yet another abstraction
layer which makes it easy to change the underlying database without any code
changes. It's very slick (IMHO) and doesn't impose a great performance cost,
which is not to suggest that the the early versions were so finely tuned...
Go ahead and give it a try; you might be pleasantly surprised.