    so we will have two instances of JSP containers running...

    Please advise
    thanks for your help!

    Matthew Macchia, Feb 27, 2004

  2. Matthew Macchia

    Wendy S Guest

    "Matthew Macchia" <> wrote
    > Is Tomcat up to snuff to run full fledged applications in a production
    > env?

    I sure hope so, or else don't tell all my users. ;) I'm not running the
    amazon.com site or anything, but by and large people are happy, me included.

    > Do we gain anything by deploying Tomcat alone right now and then
    > upgrading to JBOSS in the future?
    > Or do we deploy JBOSS now since it doesn't cost us much?

    JBoss may be free, but your time and effort is not. If you only need
    Tomcat, then I would only install Tomcat in production. Put JBoss on your
    development box and experiment away, but I don't think I'd complicate the
    production environment unnecessarily.

    --
    Wendy in Chandler, AZ

    Wendy S, Feb 27, 2004

  3. Matthew Macchia

    Sudsy Guest

    Matthew Macchia wrote:
    <snip>
    > Is Tomcat up to snuff to run full fledged applications in a production
    > env?

    Absolutely!

    > Do we gain anything by deploying Tomcat alone right now and then
    > upgrading to JBOSS in the future?

    Choose JBoss only if you're willing to tolerate some serious
    limitations. You'll could actually lose some functionality as JBoss
    ignores many of the Catalina configuration options. Forget about using
    an alternate, "fixed" appBase and docBase, for example.

    > Or do we deploy JBOSS now since it doesn't cost us much?

    As mentioned above, you WILL pay a price unless you structure your
    application very carefully and use something like Apache with mod_jk
    as the front-end. Partitioning has to be approached judiciously even
    then.
    Can it be done? Sure! Is it the best approach? Likely not, unless
    all you want to do is "play" with EJBs. If you want to deploy them
    in a serious production environment then you'd be better served by
    a professional platform like WAS, IMHO.
    I use Tomcat for a number of my websites but wouldn't DREAM of using
    JBoss for anything important. YMMV.

    Sudsy, Feb 28, 2004
  4. Thanks for the advice guys.
    I think that we will deploy Tomcat alone.
    Thanks!
    -matt

    Matthew Macchia, Feb 29, 2004