jdbc and prepared statement problem

Ryan

I am having trouble getting my prepared statements to work.

I have a DAO and a test class to call it.

I think this means i'm passing a null parameter, but I checked with
system.out.println. I dont have any nulls?

SQLException caught!
java.sql.SQLException: Expected to find "an identifier" instead found "?" at
pos
ition 21.
at com.pointbase.net.netJDBCPrimitives.handleResponse(Unknown Source)
at com.pointbase.net.netJDBCPrimitives.handleJDBCObjectResponse(Unknown
Source)
at com.pointbase.net.netJDBCConnection.prepareStatement(Unknown Source)
at contactDAO.setContact(contactDAO.java:81)
at daoTest.main(daoTest.java:14)
Press any key to continue . . .

import java.sql.*;

public class contactDAO {

private static String SELECTQUERY = "select * from contact";
private String SELECTNAME = "SELECT * FROM CONTACT WHERE NAME = ?";
private String INSERTNAME = "INSERT INTO CONTACT (?, ?, ?, ?, ?,?)";
private static String DBCONNECTION =
"jdbc:pointbase:server://localhost:9092/contacts";
private static String USERNAME = "CONTACT";
private static String PASSWORD = "CONTACT";
public contactDAO () {
try {
Class.forName ( "com.pointbase.jdbc.jdbcUniversalDriver" );
} catch (Exception e) {
System.out.println("ERROR: failed to load pointbase JDBC
driver.");
e.printStackTrace();
return;

try {
Class.forName ( "com.pointbase.jdbc.jdbcUniversalDriver" );
} catch (Exception e) {
System.out.println("ERROR: failed to load pointbase JDBC
driver.");
e.printStackTrace();
return;
}

try {
Connection c =
DriverManager.getConnection(DBCONNECTION,USERNAME,PASSWORD);
Statement query = c.createStatement();
ResultSet result = query.executeQuery(SELECTQUERY);

System.out.println("------- Content of the Contact
Table: ------------\n");
while(result.next()) {

System.out.println("\t" + result.getString("NAME") +
"\t" + result.getString("STREET") +
"\t" + result.getString("CITY"));
catch(SQLException e) {
System.err.println("SQLException caught!");
e.printStackTrace();

public ResultSet getContact (String name) {

ResultSet rs = null;

try {
Connection c =
DriverManager.getConnection(DBCONNECTION,USERNAME,PASSWORD);
PreparedStatement ps = c.prepareStatement(SELECTNAME);
ps.setString(1,name);
rs = ps.executeQuery();
} catch(SQLException e) {
System.err.println("SQLException caught!");
e.printStackTrace();
}
return rs;
}

public int setContact (String name, String street, String city, String
state, int zipcode, String phone) {
int rowcount = 0;

try {
Connection c =
DriverManager.getConnection(DBCONNECTION,USERNAME,PASSWORD);
PreparedStatement ps = c.prepareStatement(INSERTNAME);
ps.setString(1,name); ps.setString(2,street);
ps.setString(3,city); ps.setString(4,state);
ps.setInt(5,zipcode); ps.setString(6,phone);rowcount
= ps.executeUpdate();
} catch(SQLException e) {
System.err.println("SQLException caught!");
e.printStackTrace();
}
return rowcount;

and now the test script...

import java.sql.*;

public class daoTest {

int rowcount = 0;
ResultSet rs = null;

try {
contactDAO cd = new contactDAO();
cd.setContact("RALPH","123 My
Street","Reston","Virginia",20194,"(666)666-6666");
cd.getContact("RALPH");
/* while(rs.next()) {
System.out.println("\t" + rs.getString("NAME") +
"\t" + rs.getString("STREET") +
"\t" + rs.getString("CITY"));
}*/
} catch (Exception e) {
System.out.println("ERROR: failed to load pointbase JDBC
driver.");
e.printStackTrace();
return;

Kevin McMurtrie

INSERT INTO CONTACT (?, ?, ?, ?, ?,?)

Most DBs need the VALUES identifier to indicate that you'll be
specifying values in the SQL, since there are multiples ways to provide
the input to an INSERT statement.

It's also very dangerous to insert data without specifying the columns.
You could trash the DB if the tables are altered and the code isn't
modified to match.

Ryan said:
[...]

Rhino

Ryan said:
[...]

Well, you haven't included any line numbers in your note so I can't be sure
which statement is throwing the exception. But I strongly suspect that it's
your INSERT statement:
private String INSERTNAME = "INSERT INTO CONTACT (?, ?, ?, ?,
?,?)";

You need to have either a column-name list or the keyword VALUES or both
between the table name and the list of parameter markers (question marks).
For example:

private String INSERTNAME = "INSERT INTO CONTACT (col1, col2, col3,
col4, col5, col6) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?)";

Naturally, you need to replace 'col1, col2' etc. with the real column names
from your table ;-)

Rhino

Rhino

Rhino said:
Ryan said:
I am having trouble getting my prepared statements to work.

I have a DAO and a test class to call it.

I think this means i'm passing a null parameter, but I checked with
system.out.println. I dont have any nulls?

SQLException caught!
java.sql.SQLException: Expected to find "an identifier" instead found
"?"

Rhino said:
Ryan said:
[...]

OOPS!!

What I SHOULD have said was: "You need a VALUES keyword and, OPTIONALLY, may
have a column list between the table name and the list of parameter markers.
If provided, the column list needs to precede the VALUES keyword." Contrary
to what I said, you CANNOT have the column list WITHOUT the VALUES keyword,
at least not in any dialect of SQL I've ever seen.

Therefore this would work:

private String INSERTNAME = "INSERT INTO CONTACT (col1, col2, col3,
col4, col5, col6) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?)";

and so would this:

private String INSERTNAME = "INSERT INTO CONTACT VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?,
?)";

but NOT this:

private String INSERTNAME = "INSERT INTO CONTACT (col1, col2, col3,
col4, col5, col6) (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?)";

because the VALUES keyword *must* be there. Only the column name list is
mandatory. But, as Kevin said, it's a darned good idea to have the column
list even if it is optional.

Rhino