    Is there any jdbc driver for mysql that dont require
    the program that uses the driver to be gpl or some other
    open source license?

    TDOR, Jul 8, 2005

  2. TDOR

    John Currier Guest

    That's an interesting question that leads to other questions related to
    the insestuous nature of the GPL philosophy.

    If a program uses MySQL does the program have to be GPL? Does it
    matter if the driver is GPL or not?

    If a program provides a pluggable driver interface (like my LGPL-based
    SchemaSpy) and people run it with a GPL-based driver does the program
    have to be GPL? Sounds ludicrous, but....

    John
    http://schemaspy.sourceforge.net

    John Currier, Jul 14, 2005

  3. TDOR

    Frank Guest

    TDOR wrote:
    > Is there any jdbc driver for mysql that dont require
    > the program that uses the driver to be gpl or some other
    > open source license?

    Ever heard of PostgreSQL, Firebird or Ingres?
    Or perhaps HSQLDB, Apache Derby (Cloudscape) or McKoi?

    Frank, Jul 14, 2005
  4. In article <42d615d9$>, Frank <> wrote:

    > TDOR wrote:
    > > Is there any jdbc driver for mysql that dont require
    > > the program that uses the driver to be gpl or some other
    > > open source license?

    > Ever heard of PostgreSQL, Firebird or Ingres?
    > Or perhaps HSQLDB, Apache Derby (Cloudscape) or McKoi?

    Doesn't answer his question. He may well have to access mysql.

    Unfortunately, I have no better answer - the mysql drivers are the only
    ones I know of, and they require either GPL code, a commercial license,
    or your program to link to them, rather than embed them. (If they are
    not lgpl, then that last does not apply. Our code is GPL, so I have not
    checked lately.)

    Scott

    --
    Scott Ellsworth

    Java and database consulting for the life sciences

    Scott Ellsworth, Jul 18, 2005