    wondering if anyone had newer information.

    Regards,
    kmcb
    KMCB, Feb 3, 2009

  2. On 2009-02-03 19:30, KMCB wrote:
    > I was wondering if anyone was aware of a JDBC DBAPI module for
    > cpython. I have looked at PYJDBC and was interested in avoiding using
    > that extra level of ICE. I was thinking maybe someone would have back
    > ported zxJDBC from Jython. Or used that as a starting point, to
    > create a module and had a C based wrapper for the driver. This type
    > of activity was talked about back in 2004 on this forum, but I was
    > wondering if anyone had newer information.

    Why not use ODBC instead ?

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBC/

    (zxJDBC is based on and was inspired by mxODBC)

    Or, if you don't have ODBC drivers for your database, use an
    ODBC-JDBC bridge such as:

    http://www.easysoft.com/products/data_access/odbc_jdbc_gateway/
    or
    http://odbcjdbc.sourceforge.net/

    --
    Marc-Andre Lemburg
    eGenix.com

    Professional Python Services directly from the Source (#1, Feb 04 2009)

    http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/
    M.-A. Lemburg, Feb 4, 2009

  3. KMCB

    KMCB Guest

    Thanks Simon and Marc,

    I currently have an app on OSX that I wanted to migrate to NIX, it
    uses a ODBC DBAPI interface to communicate with Filemaker.
    Unfortunately, FMP does not support linux drivers. They do have a
    JDBC driver that looks like it may work. My preference was to run
    that app on one machine.

    I may not be understand your suggestion Marc, can the app and bridge
    run on the same machine. Can I specify the ODBC to a localhost, being
    the bridge? Then have the JDBC driver installed.

    Also, your second link does not seam to have a download or anything in
    the CVS.

    Thanks,
    KMCB
    KMCB, Feb 5, 2009
  4. On 2009-02-05 03:49, KMCB wrote:
    > Thanks Simon and Marc,
    >
    > I currently have an app on OSX that I wanted to migrate to NIX, it
    > uses a ODBC DBAPI interface to communicate with Filemaker.
    > Unfortunately, FMP does not support linux drivers. They do have a
    > JDBC driver that looks like it may work. My preference was to run
    > that app on one machine.
    >
    > I may not be understand your suggestion Marc, can the app and bridge
    > run on the same machine. Can I specify the ODBC to a localhost, being
    > the bridge? Then have the JDBC driver installed.

    The setup would work as follows:

    Python -> mxODBC -> ODBC-JDBC bridge -> JDBC driver -> Filemaker

    [--- Linux ----------------------------------------] [Mac OS X]

    I am not sure how you'd have to configure the EasySoft bridge.
    Please check their documentation for details.

    We are currently working on releasing mxODBC Connect, our client server
    Python database interface, for Mac OS X. You will then be able
    to use a much simpler and more efficient setup:

    Python -> mxODBC Connect Client ->
    [--- Linux --------------------]

    mxODBC Connect Server -> ODBC driver -> Filemaker
    [--- Mac OS X -----------------------------------]

    and because the mxODBC Connect Cient is highly portable, moving
    your application to other platforms would be easily possible
    as well.

    Plus, you'd avoid having to carry around the whole JVM in your
    Python application: the ODBC-JDBC bridge essentially embeds
    the JVM in your application and then uses JNI to interface
    from C to Java and from there to the JDBC driver.

    > Also, your second link does not seam to have a download or anything in
    > the CVS.

    Sorry, I should have looked closer... the SF project page reveals
    that the "PROJECT IS DEAD!":

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/odbcjdbc/

    --
    Marc-Andre Lemburg
    eGenix.com

    Professional Python Services directly from the Source (#1, Feb 05 2009)

    http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/
    M.-A. Lemburg, Feb 5, 2009