JDBC in CPYTHON

KMCB

I was wondering if anyone was aware of a JDBC DBAPI module for
cpython. I have looked at PYJDBC and was interested in avoiding using
that extra level of ICE. I was thinking maybe someone would have back
ported zxJDBC from Jython. Or used that as a starting point, to
create a module and had a C based wrapper for the driver. This type
of activity was talked about back in 2004 on this forum, but I was
wondering if anyone had newer information.

Regards,
kmcb

M.-A. Lemburg

I was wondering if anyone was aware of a JDBC DBAPI module for
cpython. I have looked at PYJDBC and was interested in avoiding using
that extra level of ICE. I was thinking maybe someone would have back
ported zxJDBC from Jython. Or used that as a starting point, to
create a module and had a C based wrapper for the driver. This type
of activity was talked about back in 2004 on this forum, but I was
wondering if anyone had newer information.

Why not use ODBC instead ?

http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBC/

(zxJDBC is based on and was inspired by mxODBC)

Or, if you don't have ODBC drivers for your database, use an
ODBC-JDBC bridge such as:

http://www.easysoft.com/products/data_access/odbc_jdbc_gateway/
or
http://odbcjdbc.sourceforge.net/

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source (#1, Feb 04 2009)________________________________________________________________________

http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/

KMCB

Thanks Simon and Marc,

I currently have an app on OSX that I wanted to migrate to NIX, it
uses a ODBC DBAPI interface to communicate with Filemaker.
Unfortunately, FMP does not support linux drivers. They do have a
JDBC driver that looks like it may work. My preference was to run
that app on one machine.

I may not be understand your suggestion Marc, can the app and bridge
run on the same machine. Can I specify the ODBC to a localhost, being
the bridge? Then have the JDBC driver installed.

Also, your second link does not seam to have a download or anything in
the CVS.

Thanks,
KMCB

M.-A. Lemburg

Thanks Simon and Marc,

I currently have an app on OSX that I wanted to migrate to NIX, it
uses a ODBC DBAPI interface to communicate with Filemaker.
Unfortunately, FMP does not support linux drivers. They do have a
JDBC driver that looks like it may work. My preference was to run
that app on one machine.

I may not be understand your suggestion Marc, can the app and bridge
run on the same machine. Can I specify the ODBC to a localhost, being
the bridge? Then have the JDBC driver installed.

The setup would work as follows:

Python -> mxODBC -> ODBC-JDBC bridge -> JDBC driver -> Filemaker

[--- Linux ----------------------------------------] [Mac OS X]

I am not sure how you'd have to configure the EasySoft bridge.
Please check their documentation for details.

We are currently working on releasing mxODBC Connect, our client server
Python database interface, for Mac OS X. You will then be able
to use a much simpler and more efficient setup:

Python -> mxODBC Connect Client ->
[--- Linux --------------------]

mxODBC Connect Server -> ODBC driver -> Filemaker
[--- Mac OS X -----------------------------------]

and because the mxODBC Connect Cient is highly portable, moving
your application to other platforms would be easily possible
as well.

Plus, you'd avoid having to carry around the whole JVM in your
Python application: the ODBC-JDBC bridge essentially embeds
the JVM in your application and then uses JNI to interface
from C to Java and from there to the JDBC driver.
Also, your second link does not seam to have a download or anything in
the CVS.

Sorry, I should have looked closer... the SF project page reveals
that the "PROJECT IS DEAD!":

http://sourceforge.net/projects/odbcjdbc/

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg