    combination ?

    Thank you for any comments and thoughts,
    Krist

    Krist, Jan 4, 2005

  2. Krist

    anonymous Guest

    Krist wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > We are considering to use JDeveloper/J2EE as our development tool and
    > platform.
    > Our supported backends are SQL Server and Oracle.
    >
    > Some questions just come to mind :
    >
    > JDeveloper seems to be highly integrated into IAS and Oracle, what if
    > our target backends is SQL Server ?
    >
    > Further, J2EE and SQL Server, will it be a good and make sense
    > combination ?
    >
    > Thank you for any comments and thoughts,
    > Krist

    You will have to have a j2ee container, OC4J comes to mind, else an Open
    Source container. There are decent JDBC drivers out there, else you
    will need to use the JDBC/ODBC bridge, I think.
    Much of what JDeveloper can do is, of course, integrated tightly with
    Oracle's rdbms, but for J2EE stuff, it is pretty standard. Same goes for
    Web Services. I have used it for 7 years, even from before it ran on
    Linux. It gets better all the time. The JDeveloper folks on
    otn.oracle.com are pretty good at helping out (discussions forums).

    anonymous, Jan 4, 2005

  3. Krist

    Jon Caldwell Guest

    anonymous wrote:
    > Krist wrote:
    >
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> We are considering to use JDeveloper/J2EE as our development tool and
    >> platform.
    >> Our supported backends are SQL Server and Oracle.
    >>
    >> Some questions just come to mind :
    >> JDeveloper seems to be highly integrated into IAS and Oracle, what if
    >> our target backends is SQL Server ?
    >>
    >> Further, J2EE and SQL Server, will it be a good and make sense
    >> combination ?
    >>
    >> Thank you for any comments and thoughts,
    >> Krist

    > You will have to have a j2ee container, OC4J comes to mind, else an Open
    > Source container. There are decent JDBC drivers out there, else you
    > will need to use the JDBC/ODBC bridge, I think.
    > Much of what JDeveloper can do is, of course, integrated tightly with
    > Oracle's rdbms, but for J2EE stuff, it is pretty standard. Same goes for
    > Web Services. I have used it for 7 years, even from before it ran on
    > Linux. It gets better all the time. The JDeveloper folks on
    > otn.oracle.com are pretty good at helping out (discussions forums).

    I use MS SQL Server with a J2EE environment. Performance is a top
    priority, and I have found JTurbo from NewAtlanta to be the best. It
    will cost you, though.

    Jon Caldwell, Jan 5, 2005