JDeveloper/J2EE and SQL Server ?

Krist

Hi All,

We are considering to use JDeveloper/J2EE as our development tool and
platform.
Our supported backends are SQL Server and Oracle.

Some questions just come to mind :

JDeveloper seems to be highly integrated into IAS and Oracle, what if
our target backends is SQL Server ?

Further, J2EE and SQL Server, will it be a good and make sense
combination ?

Thank you for any comments and thoughts,
Krist

anonymous

Krist said:
Hi All,

We are considering to use JDeveloper/J2EE as our development tool and
platform.
Our supported backends are SQL Server and Oracle.

Some questions just come to mind :

JDeveloper seems to be highly integrated into IAS and Oracle, what if
our target backends is SQL Server ?

Further, J2EE and SQL Server, will it be a good and make sense
combination ?

Thank you for any comments and thoughts,
Krist

You will have to have a j2ee container, OC4J comes to mind, else an Open
Source container. There are decent JDBC drivers out there, else you
will need to use the JDBC/ODBC bridge, I think.
Much of what JDeveloper can do is, of course, integrated tightly with
Oracle's rdbms, but for J2EE stuff, it is pretty standard. Same goes for
Web Services. I have used it for 7 years, even from before it ran on
Linux. It gets better all the time. The JDeveloper folks on
otn.oracle.com are pretty good at helping out (discussions forums).

Jon Caldwell

anonymous said:
You will have to have a j2ee container, OC4J comes to mind, else an Open
Source container. There are decent JDBC drivers out there, else you
will need to use the JDBC/ODBC bridge, I think.
Much of what JDeveloper can do is, of course, integrated tightly with
Oracle's rdbms, but for J2EE stuff, it is pretty standard. Same goes for
Web Services. I have used it for 7 years, even from before it ran on
Linux. It gets better all the time. The JDeveloper folks on
otn.oracle.com are pretty good at helping out (discussions forums).

I use MS SQL Server with a J2EE environment. Performance is a top
priority, and I have found JTurbo from NewAtlanta to be the best. It
will cost you, though.