    "Humanity is conducting an unintended, uncontrolled, globally pervasive experiment
    whose ultimate consequences could be second only to global nuclear war."
    ~ Environment Canada (The Canadian equivalent of the EPA on global warming)
    Roedy Green, Dec 1, 2008

  2. Roedy Green

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Arne Vajhøj, Dec 1, 2008

  3. Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    > Roedy Green wrote:
    >> see http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp to get the new
    >> version 1.0.6_11 the JDK.

    > Where does the 1.0. part comes from ?

    For advertising purposes, the current version of Java is 6, but it's
    still 1.0.6 internally, in the Release Notes and so on.
    --
    John W. Kennedy
    "Compact is becoming contract,
    John W Kennedy, Dec 2, 2008
  4. Roedy Green

    Jim Guest

    On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 18:46:23 -0500, Arne Vajhøj <>
    wrote:

    >Roedy Green wrote:
    >> see http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp to get the new
    >> version 1.0.6_11 the JDK.

    >Where does the 1.0. part comes from ?
    >
    >Arne

    See

    $java -version

    Jim
    Jim, Dec 2, 2008
  5. Roedy Green

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    John W Kennedy wrote:
    > Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >> Roedy Green wrote:
    >>> see http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp to get the new
    >>> version 1.0.6_11 the JDK.

    >> Where does the 1.0. part comes from ?

    > For advertising purposes, the current version of Java is 6, but it's
    > still 1.0.6 internally, in the Release Notes and so on.

    Really ?

    I thought it was 1.6.0 ...

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Dec 2, 2008
  6. Roedy Green

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Jim wrote:
    > On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 18:46:23 -0500, Arne Vajhøj <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Roedy Green wrote:
    >>> see http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp to get the new
    >>> version 1.0.6_11 the JDK.

    >> Where does the 1.0. part comes from ?

    > See
    >
    > $java -version

    And ?

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Dec 2, 2008
  7. Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    > Jim wrote:
    >> On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 18:46:23 -0500, Arne Vajhøj <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> Where does the 1.0. part comes from ?

    >> See
    >>
    >> $java -version

    > And ?
    >
    > Arne

    I think they are asleep today Arne :).

    --

    Knute Johnson
    email s/nospam/knute2008/

    Knute Johnson, Dec 2, 2008
  8. Roedy Green

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Knute Johnson wrote:
    > Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >> Jim wrote:
    >>>
    >>> See
    >>>
    >>> $java -version

    >> And ?

    > I think they are asleep today Arne :).

    Well - it was first after JWK's post that I realized
    that it was a simple transposition.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Dec 2, 2008
  9. Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    > John W Kennedy wrote:
    >> Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Where does the 1.0. part comes from ?

    >> For advertising purposes, the current version of Java is 6, but it's
    >> still 1.0.6 internally, in the Release Notes and so on.

    > Really ?
    >
    > I thought it was 1.6.0 ...

    Arrggghhhh! Yes, of course you're right. I was distracted by two other
    conversations going on next to me.

    --
    John W. Kennedy
    "Though a Rothschild you may be
    John W Kennedy, Dec 2, 2008
  10. Roedy Green

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    John W Kennedy wrote:
    > Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >> John W Kennedy wrote:

    >>> For advertising purposes, the current version of Java is 6, but it's
    >>> still 1.0.6 internally, in the Release Notes and so on.

    >> Really ?
    >>
    >> I thought it was 1.6.0 ...

    > Arrggghhhh! Yes, of course you're right. I was distracted by two other
    > conversations going on next to me.

    It happen.

    I did not even realize how Roedy came up with that version until after
    reading your post.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Dec 2, 2008
  11. Roedy Green

    Jim Guest

    On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 19:50:03 -0500, Arne Vajhøj <>
    wrote:

    >Jim wrote:
    >> On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 18:46:23 -0500, Arne Vajhøj <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> Where does the 1.0. part comes from ?

    >> See
    >>
    >> $java -version

    >And ?
    >
    >Arne

    And I looked right at it. Little dyslexic moment.

    Jim
    Jim, Dec 2, 2008
  12. Claudio Nieder, Dec 2, 2008
  13. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 20:21:47 +0100, Claudio Nieder
    said :

    >> http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

    >I can spot there only
    >
    >Java SE Development Kit (JDK) 6 Update 10

    Perhaps it is stuck in a cache. I just rechecked. It is 11. They did
    not revert to 10. Try a different browser and do a reload.

    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com
    Roedy Green, Dec 2, 2008
  14. On Dec 2, 9:24 am, Roedy Green <>
    wrote:
    > see http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jspto get the new
    > version 1.0.6_11 the JDK.

    What does the new 1.6.0_11 SDK do for us the
    developer that any other 1.6 SDK lacks?

    OK - I expect some updated documentation based
    on the changes in _10 re applets and webstart,
    but any SDK can compile code suitable to be run
    in a 1.6.0_11 JRE.

    (I would expect an announcement for an updated
    JRE, but not an SDK. Since I have 100 meg limit
    before bandwidth throttling, I need to make some
    discerning choices about what is downloaded.

    Since a _10 JRE is already installed, is it
    really a great boon to have a 1.6.0_11 SDK?)

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    http://pscode.org/
    Andrew Thompson, Dec 2, 2008
  15. Roedy Green

    Mark Space Guest

    Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    > John W Kennedy wrote:

    >> Arrggghhhh! Yes, of course you're right. I was distracted by two other
    >> conversations going on next to me.

    > It happen.

    Typos? Ya think? ;)

    (Was that intentional?)
    Mark Space, Dec 3, 2008
  16. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 15:48:35 -0800 (PST), Andrew Thompson
    who said :

    >What does the new 1.6.0_11 SDK do for us the
    >developer that any other 1.6 SDK lacks?

    see the release notes at
    http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/6u11.html

    The scariest thing is an incompatible change in UTF-8 format.

    two new root certs.

    some bugs fixed. The one that most interested me is fixing a problem
    with Vista NVidia drivers. Java has given a number of weird rendering
    artifacts on my machine.

    Roedy Green, Dec 3, 2008
  17. Roedy Green

    Pappy :-\) Guest

    Pappy :-\), Dec 3, 2008
  18. Roedy Green

    Lew Guest

    Lew, Dec 3, 2008
  19. Roedy Green

    Pappy :-\) Guest

    > Please do not top-post.

    Opps, sorry it's been a while since I've been on any news groups.
    Pappy :-\), Dec 3, 2008
  20. Roedy Green

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Arne Vajhøj, Dec 4, 2008