JDK 1.6.0_18 released

Discussion in 'Java' started by Roedy Green, Jan 13, 2010.

  1. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    Roedy Green, Jan 13, 2010

  2. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 12:17:39 -0800, Roedy Green
    <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    someone who said :

    >Sun has released a new JDK 1.6.0_18. You can get it at
    >http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

    Looks like Derby is no longer bundled with it.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com
    Roedy Green, Jan 13, 2010

  3. Roedy Green

    Silvio Guest

    "Roedy Green" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 12:17:39 -0800, Roedy Green
    > <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    > someone who said :
    >
    >>Sun has released a new JDK 1.6.0_18. You can get it at
    >>http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

    > Looks like Derby is no longer bundled with it.
    > --
    > Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    > http://mindprod.com
    > There is no end to what can be accomplished if you don't care who gets the
    > credit.
    > ~ Art Rennison

    That is worth a point upgrade on its own. That was one stupid call when they
    added that...

    Perhaps it had to make room for the Java API to the JavaFX widgets. Oh no
    wait! Another stupid call was trying to make us believe that that stuff runs
    on the JVM but can not be accessed from Java...
    Silvio, Jan 13, 2010
  4. Roedy Green

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Wed, 13 Jan 2010, Roedy Green wrote:

    > On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 12:17:39 -0800, Roedy Green
    > <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    > someone who said :
    >
    >> Sun has released a new JDK 1.6.0_18. You can get it at
    >> http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

    > Looks like Derby is no longer bundled with it.

    Seriously? I'm no fan of Derby, but isn't that going to make some people
    (eg those who have written apps which use it because that means they can
    be deployed without dependencies) very unhappy?

    tom

    --
    The other big thing is the method by which these new discoveries had
    been made. They had not been made in studies. They were not made by
    Tom Anderson, Jan 13, 2010
  5. Roedy Green

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 13-01-2010 16:59, Tom Anderson wrote:
    > On Wed, 13 Jan 2010, Roedy Green wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 12:17:39 -0800, Roedy Green
    >> <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    >> someone who said :
    >>
    >>> Sun has released a new JDK 1.6.0_18. You can get it at
    >>> http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

    >> Looks like Derby is no longer bundled with it.

    > Seriously?

    http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/6u18.html

    Java DB 10.5.3.0 is included in 1.6.0_18. Java DB 10.5.3.0 introduces
    the following improvements:

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Jan 13, 2010
  6. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 17:27:01 -0500, Arne Vajhøj <>

    >Java DB 10.5.3.0 is included in 1.6.0_18. Java DB 10.5.3.0 introduces
    >the following improvements:

    The JDK installer does not mention Derby during the install, but I
    found it there after I was done. I am not sure it if was left over
    from the previous 1.6.0_17 or if it just quietly installed it.
    Roedy Green, Jan 13, 2010
  7. Roedy Green

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 13-01-2010 17:57, Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 17:27:01 -0500, Arne Vajhøj<>
    >> Java DB 10.5.3.0 is included in 1.6.0_18. Java DB 10.5.3.0 introduces
    >> the following improvements:

    > The JDK installer does not mention Derby during the install, but I
    > found it there after I was done. I am not sure it if was left over
    > from the previous 1.6.0_17 or if it just quietly installed it.

    Based on the above quote from the release notes then ...

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Jan 13, 2010
  8. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 14:57:49 -0800, Roedy Green
    someone who said :

    >The JDK installer does not mention Derby during the install, but I
    >found it there after I was done. I am not sure it if was left over
    >from the previous 1.6.0_17 or if it just quietly installed it.

    I have done several experiments. It never installs Derby, even though
    the release notes say it is included. I have written Sun asking them
    to have a look at it.

    Something else odd, the x86 download is considerably bigger that the
    64 bit download. This suggests something was likely inadvertently
    left out of the 64-bit download.

    Derby (aka JavaDB) may be in there, but the installer is ignoring it.
    Roedy Green, Jan 14, 2010
  9. Roedy Green

    Lew Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > I have done several experiments.  It never installs Derby, even though
    > the release notes say it is included. I have written Sun asking them
    > to have a look at it.

    6u18 installed Derby just fine on a 32-bit Windows XP machine here.
    Its prompt was shown in the same place within the installer window
    that it's been for the last umpteen JDK 6 installations. It allowed
    me to override the default location just like always. I had it
    install JavaDB over the same installation directory tree that Java
    6u17 used; that JavaDB was already present had no impact. There was
    nothing hidden or obscure or even different about the JavaDB
    installation compared to previous JDK 6 installs.

    I'll get back to the group on the installation of 6u18 under 64-bit
    Ubuntu Linux when I do that one.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Jan 14, 2010