JDK 1.6.0_18 released

Silvio

Roedy Green said:
Looks like Derby is no longer bundled with it.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

That is worth a point upgrade on its own. That was one stupid call when they
added that...

Perhaps it had to make room for the Java API to the JavaFX widgets. Oh no
wait! Another stupid call was trying to make us believe that that stuff runs
on the JVM but can not be accessed from Java...

Tom Anderson

Looks like Derby is no longer bundled with it.

Seriously? I'm no fan of Derby, but isn't that going to make some people
(eg those who have written apps which use it because that means they can
be deployed without dependencies) very unhappy?

tom

--
The other big thing is the method by which these new discoveries had
been made. They had not been made in studies. They were not made by

Roedy Green

Java DB 10.5.3.0 is included in 1.6.0_18. Java DB 10.5.3.0 introduces
the following improvements:

The JDK installer does not mention Derby during the install, but I
found it there after I was done. I am not sure it if was left over
from the previous 1.6.0_17 or if it just quietly installed it.

Arne Vajhøj

The JDK installer does not mention Derby during the install, but I
found it there after I was done. I am not sure it if was left over
from the previous 1.6.0_17 or if it just quietly installed it.

Based on the above quote from the release notes then ...

Arne

Roedy Green

The JDK installer does not mention Derby during the install, but I
found it there after I was done. I am not sure it if was left over
from the previous 1.6.0_17 or if it just quietly installed it.
I have done several experiments. It never installs Derby, even though
the release notes say it is included. I have written Sun asking them
to have a look at it.

Something else odd, the x86 download is considerably bigger that the
64 bit download. This suggests something was likely inadvertently
left out of the 64-bit download.

Derby (aka JavaDB) may be in there, but the installer is ignoring it.

Lew

Roedy said:
I have done several experiments.  It never installs Derby, even though
the release notes say it is included. I have written Sun asking them
to have a look at it.

6u18 installed Derby just fine on a 32-bit Windows XP machine here.
Its prompt was shown in the same place within the installer window
that it's been for the last umpteen JDK 6 installations. It allowed
me to override the default location just like always. I had it
install JavaDB over the same installation directory tree that Java
6u17 used; that JavaDB was already present had no impact. There was
nothing hidden or obscure or even different about the JavaDB
installation compared to previous JDK 6 installs.

I'll get back to the group on the installation of 6u18 under 64-bit
Ubuntu Linux when I do that one.