jdk 6 installation error

Wills

Hi all,
I tried installing jdk6, update 2 rpm from SUN on a Redhat Linux 3
WS .I used the rpm.bin file for installation. I changed the file
permissions as per the installation instructions, and the tried to
install.It says '%post(jdk-1.6.0_02-fcs) scriptlet failed, exit status
5" .So the JDK is not installed it seems.The other packages like
javadb,java docs, demo showed 100% installation.
The commands 'java, javac ' are working but I strongly feel Java is
ot installed because, the bin and lib folder are not created.Why the
error message came is a big question to me.Should I re-install java?
Won't it fail agan?
Thanks in advance.

Ishwor Gurung

Wills said:
Hi all,
I tried installing jdk6, update 2 rpm from SUN on a Redhat Linux 3
WS .I used the rpm.bin file for installation. I changed the file
permissions as per the installation instructions, and the tried to
install.It says '%post(jdk-1.6.0_02-fcs) scriptlet failed, exit status
5" .So the JDK is not installed it seems.The other packages like
javadb,java docs, demo showed 100% installation.
The commands 'java, javac ' are working but I strongly feel Java is
ot installed because, the bin and lib folder are not created.Why the
error message came is a big question to me.Should I re-install java?
Won't it fail agan?
Thanks in advance.

Show us the error.

I think proper procedure could be:
$ yum install sun-jdk-whatever-its-called;
or $yumex install sun-jdk-whatever-its-called;

Wills

I think proper procedure could be:
$ yum install sun-jdk-whatever-its-called;
or $yumex install sun-jdk-whatever-its-called;

Thanks for the reply .
The error was "%post(jdk-1.6.0_02-fcs) scriptlet failed, exit status
5" .Exactly the same.I tried to install again, removing the existing
RPM.Again the same error occured, the other packages viz., javadb ,
etc also showed 83%, 17%, 60 % etc.
'yum' command is not working in this computer, and I think it is not
installed.Should I download that program also?
Thanks in advance.

Ishwor Gurung

Wills said:
Thanks for the reply .
The error was "%post(jdk-1.6.0_02-fcs) scriptlet failed, exit status
5" .Exactly the same.I tried to install again, removing the existing
RPM.Again the same error occured, the other packages viz., javadb ,
etc also showed 83%, 17%, 60 % etc.
'yum' command is not working in this computer, and I think it is not
installed.Should I download that program also?
Thanks in advance.

Well, with Redhat based system like Fedora, yum seems to be the defacto
package manager of choice. So is it Fedora or Redhat ? Either way imo yum
should work.
Get yum, setup the repositories and you'll get well tested OSS softwares and
a powerful package manager on top of them all. RPM is kind of dead atm and
if you look at rpm.org, they are relaunching it. So, till then, get yum &
yumex and try to install the sun jdk from there. It's less of a hassle that
way.

And also, it'd be wise on your part to discuss yum in redhat/fedora
newsgroup rather than in c.l.j.programmer because you'd get more people
willing to help there with shorter time to get reply.

hth

Lew

Ishwor said:
Well, with Redhat based system like Fedora, yum seems to be the defacto
package manager of choice. So is it Fedora or Redhat ? Either way imo yum
should work.
Get yum, setup the repositories and you'll get well tested OSS softwares and
a powerful package manager on top of them all. RPM is kind of dead atm and
if you look at rpm.org, they are relaunching it. So, till then, get yum &
yumex and try to install the sun jdk from there. It's less of a hassle that
way.

And also, it'd be wise on your part to discuss yum in redhat/fedora
newsgroup rather than in c.l.j.programmer because you'd get more people
willing to help there with shorter time to get reply.

The OP said that they had "Redhat Linux 3 WS". They didn't mention Fedora.
If it is Redhat, it's bloody old.

They also don't mention where the RPM tried to install Java. They say that "
the bin and lib folder are not created", but not where they looked for those
subdirectories.

To the OP: Please place two spaces after the period at the end of each
sentence in your writing.

Ishwor Gurung

Lew on Fri, 24 Aug 2007 10:34 pm wrote:

The OP said that they had "Redhat Linux 3 WS". They didn't mention
Fedora. If it is Redhat, it's bloody old.

Oops missed that one. Apologies. IIRC, that's like 4/5 year old release
already. right?

Wills

Lew on Fri, 24 Aug 2007 10:34 pm wrote:

Oops missed that one. Apologies. IIRC, that's like 4/5 year old release
already. right?

Thanks for your replies.
The bin and lib folders are in /usr/java. Hope java is
installed , but whenever I tried to re-install , the same error
messages occur. But java, javac, javaws, java -jar are working , and
it is enough for me.
Thanks.