    official page explaining this folder. Searching the web did not reveal
    one.

    Thanks, Ulrich
    Ulrich Scholz, Jan 25, 2012

  2. Ulrich Scholz

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 07:00:30 -0800 (PST), Ulrich Scholz
    <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :

    >(http://docs.oracle.com/
    >javase/6/docs/technotes/tools/windows/jdkfiles.html#additional)

    that url lists the optional directories
    jdk1.6.0
    ___________|__________
    | | |
    demo include src.zip
    ___|___ _________ __________
    | | | |
    applets jfc jpda plugin

    It also tells you what they are for, so you can tell if you want them.

    e.g. demo is source demos.
    src.zip is the source code for the built-in Java classes.
    etc.
    In these days of terabyte disks, I am am surprised you would think
    such pruning worth the candle.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com
    Roedy Green, Jan 25, 2012

  3. Thanks. But my JDK has a "sample" folder that is not described on this
    page.
    Do you know an official description of it.

    And yes, in my case it makes a difference.

    Ulrich

    Ulrich Scholz, Jan 26, 2012
  4. Ulrich Scholz

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    On 01/26/2012 07:44 AM, Ulrich Scholz wrote:
    > Thanks. But my JDK has a "sample" folder that is not described on this
    > page.
    > Do you know an official description of it.

    In the README file, under the heading "Contents of the JDK" and the sub
    heading "Sample Code" is a description. The description could have been
    expanded, I suppose, but I'm sure that the detailed descriptions of the
    individual samples are documented where the sample is created.

    <http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/readme-142177.html#contents>

    Apparently, with JDK7, the sample, demo, example code has been moved to
    a separate download.
    Jeff Higgins, Jan 26, 2012
  5. Ulrich Scholz

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    On 01/26/2012 08:26 AM, Jeff Higgins wrote:
    > On 01/26/2012 07:44 AM, Ulrich Scholz wrote:
    >> Thanks. But my JDK has a "sample" folder that is not described on this
    >> page.
    >> Do you know an official description of it.
    >>

    > In the README file, under the heading "Contents of the JDK" and the sub
    > heading "Sample Code" is a description. The description could have been
    > expanded, I suppose, but I'm sure that the detailed descriptions of the
    > individual samples are documented where the sample is created.
    >
    > <http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/readme-142177.html#contents>

    Additionally, see the later section "The Java Runtime Environment (JRE
    TM )", subsection "Optional Files and Directories" where the samples/
    directory is listed as optional.
    Jeff Higgins, Jan 26, 2012