jdk folder structure, sample folder

Ulrich Scholz

I'm looking for a way to cut down the size of my JDK (Java 6). In
Oracle's explanation of the file structure (http://docs.oracle.com/
javase/6/docs/technotes/tools/windows/jdkfiles.html#additional), it
mentions some additional files and directories that presumably can be
removed.

Now, there is an additional sample folder that is not explained. From
its name, I guess I can remove it, too. Right? Please point me to an
official page explaining this folder. Searching the web did not reveal
one.

Thanks, Ulrich

Roedy Green

(http://docs.oracle.com/
javase/6/docs/technotes/tools/windows/jdkfiles.html#additional)

that url lists the optional directories
jdk1.6.0
___________|__________
| | |
demo include src.zip
___|___ _________ __________
| | | |
applets jfc jpda plugin

It also tells you what they are for, so you can tell if you want them.

e.g. demo is source demos.
src.zip is the source code for the built-in Java classes.
etc.
In these days of terabyte disks, I am am surprised you would think
such pruning worth the candle.

Ulrich Scholz

Thanks. But my JDK has a "sample" folder that is not described on this
page.
Do you know an official description of it.

And yes, in my case it makes a difference.

Ulrich

Jeff Higgins

Thanks. But my JDK has a "sample" folder that is not described on this
page.
Do you know an official description of it.

In the README file, under the heading "Contents of the JDK" and the sub
heading "Sample Code" is a description. The description could have been
expanded, I suppose, but I'm sure that the detailed descriptions of the
individual samples are documented where the sample is created.

<http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/readme-142177.html#contents>

Apparently, with JDK7, the sample, demo, example code has been moved to
a separate download.

Jeff Higgins

In the README file, under the heading "Contents of the JDK" and the sub
heading "Sample Code" is a description. The description could have been
expanded, I suppose, but I'm sure that the detailed descriptions of the
individual samples are documented where the sample is created.

<http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/readme-142177.html#contents>
Additionally, see the later section "The Java Runtime Environment (JRE
TM )", subsection "Optional Files and Directories" where the samples/
directory is listed as optional.