JDK versions in major browsers

Jun

I am looking for a web site/page where I can find a table listing
most major browsers where what JDK version is used.

Could anyone point me there?

thanks

Brad BARCLAY

Jun said:
I am looking for a web site/page where I can find a table listing
most major browsers where what JDK version is used.

Could anyone point me there?

It won't do you much good, as it can differ from platform to platform.
And even then, it isn't necessarily stable.

For example, on IBM's OS/2 operating system, Java has always been a
sort of plug-in to the web browser -- which means that pretty much
whatever system Java you had installed _was_ your browser Java. The
original Netscape browsers for OS/2 (and before that, WebExplorer) used
a system called (IIRC) "J-Enpower" that would link in your system JRE
into the browser -- which meant your browsers Java version was the
system Java, and could have been Java 1.0.1, 1.0.2, 1.1.3, 1.1.6, 1.1.8,
or any other intermediary.

In more modern times, the Java Plug-In has taken over, but it has the
same situation -- you can install, say, Mozilla, and use any one of
several different JRE's with it. Here I have Java 1.3.1, Java 1.4.1,
and Java 1.4.2 -- all of which have Java Plug-ins for Mozilla, of which
I could use any one I desire.

Brad BARCLAY

Roedy Green

I am looking for a web site/page where I can find a table listing
most major browsers where what JDK version is used.

They all use the latest one if you install it. MS IE comes without
any Java now. Opera is usually one microversion behind as are Netscape
and Mozilla.

Jun

Brad, great anwser!
But how do people deal with this complicate situation?
For example, for the security model, to control applet access,
do we need to detect what JDK so that to applet different security
model or simply use old model like JDK1.0 so that it works with all?

How can people make use of the latest technology like domain from JDK
1.2 Security Model under
the complicate environment?

thanks

Brad BARCLAY

Jun said:
Brad, great anwser!
But how do people deal with this complicate situation?
For example, for the security model, to control applet access,
do we need to detect what JDK so that to applet different security
model or simply use old model like JDK1.0 so that it works with all?

How can people make use of the latest technology like domain from JDK
1.2 Security Model under
the complicate environment?

You deal with it in the usual way -- specify a minimum Java Runtime
level that is required to run your applet. Add code to your applet to
check the JRE level to ensure it meets the minimum requirements, and
display a message if it doesn't.

If you're coding for Java 1.3 or better, then you can rely upon the
Java Plug-in architecture. Java Plug-in uses an <EMBED> tagset instead
of the old <APPLET> tag that Java 1.0 and 1.1 used (I don't recall at
the moment what Java 1.2 used -- I completely skipped that version in my
development works). If the user doesn't have the required minimum Java
level you specify, then point them to where they can download the Java
Plug-in, and have them do so.

It's really no different than requirements management for any other
software development project -- just be aware that the JVM isn't really
part of the browser (even if it shipped as such on Windows for a time --
Windows is, for the most part, an anomoly in this regard).

Brad BARCLAY