jdom vs. dom4j

Yoel Spotts

I am currently using DOM for my projects but have become convinced of
the advantages of switching to a more Java-centric xml framework. I have
looked into both jdom and dom4j and done some research into both. All
things being equal, personally I find the dom4j features and API more
attractive -- although obviously that is a subjective entity. On the
other hand, it appears that jdom has many more followers and I hesitate
to use a package which in a couple of years may be forgotten and
abandoned due to jdom's popularity.

I was wondering if anyone has used both packages and has any thoughts
they would like share. Come to think of it, even if you have not used
both packages I am interested to hear your thoughts as I am sure many
people have been faced with a similar dilema: one framework which
appears superior but is less popular than another framework.

Thanks,

Yoel Spotts

Dale King

Yoel Spotts said:
I am currently using DOM for my projects but have become convinced of
the advantages of switching to a more Java-centric xml framework. I have
looked into both jdom and dom4j and done some research into both. All
things being equal, personally I find the dom4j features and API more
attractive -- although obviously that is a subjective entity. On the
other hand, it appears that jdom has many more followers and I hesitate
to use a package which in a couple of years may be forgotten and
abandoned due to jdom's popularity.

I was wondering if anyone has used both packages and has any thoughts
they would like share. Come to think of it, even if you have not used
both packages I am interested to hear your thoughts as I am sure many
people have been faced with a similar dilema: one framework which
appears superior but is less popular than another framework.

I personally have not used any of the API's but have done some reading
lately. Another alternative you may want to look at is XOM which was
designed by Elliote Rusty Harold to improve on JDOM.

The XOM page is at: http://cafeconleche.org/XOM/

Artima.com has a 9 part interview between Bill Venners and Elliote about
what's wrong with DOM and JDOM and the design of XOM (which is where I
learned about it):

http://www.artima.com/articles/index.jsp?topic=xml